- ADB: Climate Change Profile of Pakistan, 24 Aug 2017
- WFP Pakistan Country Brief, July 2017
- UNICEF Pakistan: Humanitarian Situation Report, 1 January – 30 June 2017
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017 - South Asia
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Country-based Pooled Fund
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
- In August 2017, the average retail price of wheat and wheat flour negligibly decreased by 1.2% and 0.9%, respectively; the price of rice Irri‐6 negligibly increased by 0.2% and that of rice Basmati slightly increased by 1.7% from the previous month (July 2017);
- Headline inflation based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) negligibly increased by 0.19% from July 2017, whereas it has slightly increased by 3.41% from the same month last year (August 2016);
HIGHLIGHTS AND STATISTICS
Around the world, there are too many refugee children who haven’t just lost their homes, they’re also losing their futures every single day.
More than half of all the refugee children in the world – 3.5 million children – aren’t in school.
- 1,337 undocumented Afghans returned from Pakistan
- 18,231 undocumented Afghans returned from Iran 85,488 total returns from Pakistan since 01 Jan 2017
- 263,230 total returns from Iran since 01 Jan 2017
- 95% of returnees from Pakistan (1,204 individuals) assisted
- 5% of returnees from Iran (785 individuals) assisted 138 unaccompanied migrant children (UAM) from Iran, 0 from Pakistan
- 34 Medical Cases (MC) from Iran, 0 from Pakistan
A suicide blast near one of Pakistan's two main border crossings with Afghanistan has wounded at least 22 people, including several members of the security forces.
Monday evening's attack prompted Pakistani authorities to swiftly suspended all traffic at the southwestern Chaman post.
Officials said personnel of the paramilitary Frontier Corps were heading to the border crossing when a suicide bomber ambushed their vehicle and blew himself up near a busy public spot.
Splinter group takes credit
Sectors: Protection, Livelihood, Health, CBDRR, WASH, Shelter
Districts: Peshawar, Nowshera, Charssada, Kohat, Tank, Bannu, Dir Lower, Chitral, Shangla, Lower Kohistan, Hangu, Manshera
Total UCs Covered: 83
A. Situation analysis
Description of Disaster
The rains during the recent Monsoon season have been quite heavy resulting in the emergence of dengue cases from Peshawar by the mid-August 2017. These cases continued to rise and by 24th August a sudden surge was noticed with a number of patients admitted in the major government hospitals of Peshawar.
Countrywide Conflict Displacement
From 1 January to 16 September 2017, 250,985 people have fled their homes due to conflict in Afghanistan. This is more than 21,000 people more than reported in the previous week, notably due to verification of earlier reports and assessments of displaced families.
Fighting over control of eight district centres displaced more than 50,000 people in August.
More than two million people have been reached with assistance in the first six months of the year.
Girls and boys across the country are exposed to high levels of violence and often brutal punishments.
Skills taught in youth development centres improve women’s employment prospects and help them break with traditional gender roles.
ISLAMABAD: The National Polio Programme is set to start first nationwide polio campaign from Sept 18, aimed at vaccinating 37.74 million children.
KARACHI: Ali Akbar Shah Goth and 100-Quarters in Arakanabad are the biggest dwellings of Rohingya Muslims in Pakistan though few will admit they are originally from Myanmar.
Since they all first crossed over to Bangladesh, in different times, to reach Pakistan, they prefer to call themselves Bengalis.
Rivers Flow Situation Reported by Flood Forecasting Division. All rivers are flowing at Normal levels. Details at Annex A.
Past Meteorological Situation and Future Forecast by PMD. No significant rainfall reported in last 24 hours. PMD forecast for next 24 hours predicts mainly dry weather over most parts of the Country. However, isolated wind-thunderstorms / rains expected over Malakand,
Hazara, D.I. Khan, Multan, and D.G. Khan Divisions along with Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan. Details at Annex B.
Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 2 “call to action” event held.
Work on “Positive Deviance” is currently underway in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and three provinces of Pakistan.
WFP launched the “Food Security and Livelihoods Assessment of Returned Households Residing in FATA” report.
WFP provides cash to returnees in North Waziristan Agency in Pakistan.
BISP and WFP launch “Nutrition Drive” for 1.5 million women.
In the context of a deteriorating security situation, humanitarian needs continue to increase. 168,00 people have been displaced due to conflict since the beginning of 2017. Hotspots in July included Kunduz and Faryab provinces in northern Afghanistan, Ghor province in the east and Kabul city.
In response, WFP Afghanistan assisted 415,000 vulnerable people in July.
After 14 years of working in Kurram district, in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), Pakistan, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is withdrawing from the area. The authorities have refused to issue a no objection certificate (NoC), without providing any explanation. Without a valid NoC, MSF cannot continue to provide medical services in Kurram Agency, which is located on the north-western border of Pakistan.