Appeals & Response Plans
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- Measles cases on the rise in several districts in Sindh
- Pakistan Needs Global Climate Funds to Combat Shifting Weather Patterns
- Is Karachi ready to fight the next big heatwave?
- Gilgit-Baltistan partnership in disaster risk management: key effort in enabling mountain people understand and respond to consequences of climate change
- Pakistan: Afghan Refugees and Undocumented Afghans Repatriation (18 - 24 March 2018)
Proof of Registration (PoR) cards are important tools of protection that provide temporary legal stay and freedom of movement for the 1.38 million registered Afghan refugees in Pakistan. Proof of Registration (PoR) cards which have expired at the end of 2015 have been extended through official notification until 31 January 2018.
Mixed migrations flow along the Balkans route continues. More than 5,000 refugees and migrants are estimated to have arrived to the Balkans countries (other than Greece) in the last four months of 2017
• Conflict displaces approximately 438,000 Afghans from January 1–December 19, 2017
• GoA, humanitarian agencies to address winter needs of 78,000 households
• Afghanistan HRP requests $430 million to assist approximately 2.8 million people
One of the main drivers of humanitarian needs in Afghanistan is conflict displacement. Since January 2017, some 438,000 people have been forced from their homes due to fighting. Many of these people remain in displacement across the country, as conflict prevents them from returning to their areas of origin.
More than 156,000 undocumented and registered refugee Afghans have returned from Pakistan in 2017. The number of returnees has to date this year reached 40 per cent of the total returns in the past year, notably due to an improvement of the protection environment in Pakistan.
TRENDS AND KEY FIGURES
Between 1 January 2017 and 30 November 2017, 171,300 refugees and migrants arrived by sea and land to Europe (Greece, Italy, Spain and Cyprus only, including arrivals to the Canary Islands and by land to Spain). While sea arrivals to Europe in November were 51% lower than last year, largely due to fewer people crossing from Libya, higher numbers crossed from Libya in November than in October while Spain recorded the highest number of land and sea arrivals this year.
Somalia continues to face political instability, humanitarian crisis and clan conflicts.
Due to ongoing conflicts, drought and food insecurity more than one million people have been newly displaced in 2017.
Monitoring agencies expecting that humanitarian situation will continue to deteriorate.
POPULATION OF CONCERN 1.69 M
FUNDING (AS OF 28 NOVEMBER) USD 118.7 M
2018 Humanitarian Needs Overview
549 Registered intentions to seek asylum in Serbia
32% of registered refugees and migrants were minors
15 Applications for asylum
0 Persons granted refugee status
0 Persons granted subsidiary protection
Conflict continued to displace families and individuals, which created pressure on health services around the country in November 2017. Due to the newly increased number of IDPs from Khogiani district in the Eastern region, the host communities of the surrounding areas were stretched with patients.
Number of closed health facilities was increased in the southern region due to the deteriorated security situation.
Review the biggest health stories from WHO in 2017. Relive some of WHO's major achievements in the past year.
See the timeline here
3,300 Estimated number of UAC currently in Greece based on analysis of data available to EKKA (as of 15 December 2017)
1,104 Total number of places available in UAC shelters (filled, pending assigned cases as of 15 December, including 15 vacant places)
2,256 Total number of UAC on waiting list for shelter (as of 15 December 2017) including:
- 442 in Reception and Identification Centers
74 in protective custody
Summary of major revisions made to emergency plan of action:
According to official data there are as many as 4,500 migrants in government-operated camps in Serbia
SID, Serbia, Dec 20 (Reuters) - Mudassir, 18, from Pakistan's city of Peshawar has tried to enter the European Union 30 times but was always caught and sent back to his starting point in Serbia.
Read more on the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
Geneva – IOM, the UN Migration Agency, reports that 168,314 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2017 through 17 December, with just over 70 per cent arriving in Italy and the remainder divided between Greece, Cyprus and Spain. This compares with 358,527 arrivals across the region through the same period last year.