Appeals & Response Plans
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- UNHCR supports Pakistan, Afghanistan to secure sustainable solutions for Afghan refugees
- Pakistan: Afghan Refugees Registration Update (January - August 2017)
- Pakistan: Refugee Affected and Hosting Areas RAHA | 2009 - 2017
- Pakistan on the brink of winning the war against polio
- Japan provides additional funds to support Pakistan regional polio laboratory
Flooding risks remain in southern Kenya, while severe drought continues in southern Africa
Due to poor rainfall since November western Namibia is in a severe drought. Conditions may worsen as limited rain is forecast next week.
In southwestern Madagascar, an uneven and inadequate rainfall distribution since the start of the rainfall season has resulted in severe drought. Drought conditions are likely to persist.
Lt. General Omar Mahmood Hayat, Chairman NDMA has directed the team of experts to submit a comprehensive report on Shimshal Valley Glacial Lake Outburst Flood (GLOF) Risks covering all aspects including technical and financial details and recommendation for implementation be sent to NDMA at the earliest. He sought this report while chairing the first meeting of the Team of Experts constitution by the Prime Minister of Pakistan to evaluate the situation at site.
Meteorological and hydrological services – hydromet – play a vital role in mitigating the impacts of weather and climate extremes
Hydromet is not only about early warning systems, but also giving countries, regions, communities, and individuals weather information and reliable predictions to make informed decisions for many sectors of the economy – from agriculture to logistics to hydropower, and many more
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
The Dengue outbreak was declared in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK) province in July 2017 with more than 500 positive cases being reported. More than 15 districts in KPK Province were affected, with strong collaborative response by the government and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) assisting with preventing the outbreak from spreading further.
Polio this week as of 20 March 2018
New on www.polioeradication.org: In Nigeria, experts from the frontline of polio eradication are supporting the Lassa fever response. Meanwhile, we asked what it takes to vaccinate every child in Afghanistan.
2,940 Estimated number of UAC currently in Greece
Out of the total:
4,7% <14 years old
The population estimation excludes separated children.
1,118 Total number of places in UAC shelters
2,082 in the waiting list for shelter, out of which:
140 in RICs
89 in Protective custody
Last updated 19/03/2018
For many years, north-western Pakistan, which borders Afghanistan, has been marred by military and insurgent operations.
The result is human suffering and large-scale internal population displacements in an area that is already poorly developed. This is compounded by the presence of some 2.7 million Afghan refugees. Additionally, Pakistan experiences recurring floods and earthquakes, and suffers some of the world's worst food insecurity and chronic malnutrition.
The brief summarises the findings of a systematic review of the effectiveness oftwo main approaches to targetting populations in programmes and policies to reduce barriers to accessing WASH services and strategies during the MDGs.The review includes evidence from 11 Sub-Saharan African and South Asian countries.
A landmine blast killed two people near the Pak-Iran border in Balochistan's Chaghi district on Wednesday.
According to Levies officials, a man and woman were killed near the Iranian border in an explosion when a pickup vehicle hit the landmine planted on the roadside.
The blast destroyed the vehicle, killing both of them on the spot.
Levies and other law enforcement agencies' personnel reached the site of the blast and an investigation into the incident has been initiated.
ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi on Wednesday reaffirmed Pakistan’s support for Afghanistan’s reconciliation process.
“Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi reiterated Pakistan’s support to the efforts for Afghan reconciliation under an Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace process,” said a statement from PM’s Office on the prime minister’s meeting with Afghan Ambassador Hazrat Omar Zakhilwal.
Estimaciones globales sobre la inseguridad alimentaria aguda en 2017
• Alrededor de 124 millones de personas en 51 países se enfrentan a una situación de Crisis de inseguridad alimentaria o peor (equivalente o superior a la fase 3 del IPC/CH) y requieren una acción humanitaria urgente para salvar vidas, proteger los medios de vida y reducir los niveles de hambre y desnutrición aguda.
Estimations mondiales de l’insécurité alimentaire aiguë en 2017
• Environ 124 millions de personnes vivant dans 51 pays sont en situation d’insécurité alimentaire de Crise ou pire (Phase 3 ou pire de l’IPC ou du CH ou équivalent) et requièrent une action humanitaire urgente afin de sauver des vies, protéger les moyens d’existence et réduire les déficits de consommation alimentaire et la malnutrition aiguë.
Acute food insecurity global estimates in 2017
• Around 124 million people in 51 countries face Crisis food insecurity or worse (equivalent of IPC/CH Phase 3 or above). They require urgent humanitarian action to save lives, protect livelihoods, and reduce hunger and malnutrition.
FACTS & FIGURES
479 000 displaced people since January 2017 (OCHA, as of January 2018)
2.35 million Afghan refugees living in Iran and Pakistan (UNHCR)
2.7 million undocumented Afghans living in Iran and Pakistan
EU humanitarian aid: €775 million since 1994
Registered Afghan refugees holding Proof of Registration (PoR) or UNHCR-issued refugee cards, who are planning to return to Afghanistan from Pakistan under the UN Refugee Agency’s facilitated voluntary repatriation programme are hereby informed, that the UNHCR Voluntary Repatriation Centres (VRCs) in Azakhel in Nowshera and Baleli in Quetta will be closed on account of Pakistan Day on 23 March (Friday) 2018. The centres will reopen on 26 March, Monday.
Climate change is emerging as a potent driver of internal migration. The report Groundswell: Preparing for Internal Climate Migration (2018) projects that, by 2050, without concrete climate and development action, just over 143 million people—or around 3 percent of the population across Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and South Asia —could be forced to move within their own countries to escape the slow-onset impacts of climate change.
Geneva – IOM, the UN Migration Agency, reports that 12,983 migrants and refugees have entered Europe by sea through the first 11 weeks of 2018, with about 47 per cent arriving in Italy and the remainder divided between Greece (30%) Spain (22%) and Cyprus (less than 1%). This compares with 21,058 at this point in 2017.
The GenCap Project, established in 2007 under the auspices of the Inter-Agency Standing Committee, in partnership with the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) and the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), aims to strengthen the capacity of humanitarians to undertake gender equality programming in humanitarian action. The IASC Gender Marker is the key tool used by the humanitarian community to assess how gender is incorporated in humanitarian projects.
In 2017, DG ECHO gave EUR 3 million to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) to support its Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF). When a National Red Cross or Red Crescent Society needs immediate financial support to respond to a disaster, it can request funds from the DREF.