Appeals & Response Plans
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
March 11, 2011 -
As humanitarian agencies begin to grapple with the scope of the massive earthquake that has hit Japan and continue to struggle helping the displaced people of Haiti and Pakistan after natural disasters there, and as political turmoil unfolds in North Africa, there is now a need more than ever for protection in the humanitarian world. I've always been a strong advocate of protection, so this recent call for increased action should make me confident.
Elizabeth Ferris, Senior Fellow, Foreign Policy
National Council of Churches Assembly
November 10, 2010 -
Disasters, whether triggered by natural hazards or human behavior or by the interaction between the two, affect millions of people for long periods of time. Often the effects last for decades after the disaster has long disappeared from our headlines and evening news.
This presentation was conducted at the Center for Human Rights and International Justice at Boston College in Chestnut Hill, MA.
Thank you for the opportunity to speak today about natural disasters and human rights with a particular focus on international responses to Haiti and Pakistan.
By Elizabeth Ferris
Comparisons between the response to the Haitian earthquake and to Pakistan's floods are perhaps inevitable, as these major tragedies occurred within seven months of each other. Much of the commentary has focused on possible reasons for the disproportionate donor response to the two disasters.