Appeals & Response Plans
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- Measles cases on the rise in several districts in Sindh
- Pakistan Needs Global Climate Funds to Combat Shifting Weather Patterns
- Is Karachi ready to fight the next big heatwave?
- Gilgit-Baltistan partnership in disaster risk management: key effort in enabling mountain people understand and respond to consequences of climate change
- Pakistan: Afghan Refugees and Undocumented Afghans Repatriation (18 - 24 March 2018)
NEW YORK – The number of children in poverty who are hungry could reach unparalleled levels in 2012 given the state of the global economy, Church World Service says in its annual New Year's assessment.
- CWS continues response to families affected
by Indonesian volcano
- Flood-affected families in Pakistan receive continuing CWS assistance
- Young woman in Rwanda relates CWS Giving Hope success story
- Check out CBS religion special on Haiti this weekend
- Speak Out to help make dreams come true for young immigrants
- CWS Best Gifts
As the Mt. Merapi volcano continues to threaten surrounding communities in Java, CWS responds to the needs of affected families.
Masséd Dimy, a teacher at école Saint Esprit in the city of Darbonne, was at work on January 12 when the earthquake hit. Together with his students, he managed to run out of the school building before it collapsed. All of them survived.
"I felt very stressed afterwards, but now I'm feeling much better. My only fear is that there will be a new earthquake which is even stronger than the previous one," Mr. Dimy tells us.
Both teachers and students have received psycho-social support to cope with the fears the quake caused.
Haiti earthquake emergency
Church World Service is providing emergency supplies for distribution by our local partners in Port-au-Prince in the wake of the devastating January 12 quake.
Even though a few families have chosen to return to their homes in Pakistan's Swat valley, Church World Service is urging continued support for the millions who remain displaced by fighting between Pakistan army and Taliban forces, which began in early May.
"We know no one is more eager to bring this emergency to a close than those who fled the violence," says CWS Emergency Response Director Donna Derr.
Floods and Storms
As we recognize International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction, on October 11, Church World Service continues its response to floods and other disasters, globally and locally, often working with partners on preparedness to mitigate future disasters.
More than 3,000 people in three communities in Haiti hard-hit by August's Hurricane Dean are being helped to recover through Church World Service partners: Some 500 are gaining grants and management counseling to restart businesses, and more than 2,500 small-holder farmers are learning about …
CWS assists flood survivors in Pakistan and India
Storm-induced flooding has caused widespread displacement in parts of Pakistan, particularly along the coastal regions of Sindh and Balochistan provinces.
Church World Service is providing assistance to more than 20,000 households in Gadap town and Karachi, Sindh Province; Thatta District, Sindh Province; and Turbat District, Balochistan Province. Assistance includes reconstruction materials for 1,300 of the families; preventive and curative health services for 33,750 people and vaccinations for 15,000 through five mobile …