- WFP Response in Diffa: Factsheet (August 2017)
- UNICEF Niger Humanitarian Situation Report, June 2017)
- OCHA Bulletin humanitaire, Mai - Juin 2017
Appeals & Funding
- 2017 Plan de réponse humanitaire - Mise à jour (août 2017)
- 2017 Plan de réponse humanitaire
- 2017 Lake Chad Basin Humanitarian Needs and Requirement Overview EN FR
- 2017 Sahel - Overview of humanitarian needs and requirements EN FR
- Nigeria Situation 2017 Supplementary Appeal Jan-Dec 2017 (Rev Jul 2017)
- Nigeria Regional Refugee Response Plan (RRRP): Jan-Dec 2017
- Lake Chad Basin crisis: Response strategy (2017–2019)
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Niger: Floods - Jun 2017
- Niger: Hepatitis E Outbreak - Apr 2017
- Niger: Meningitis Outbreak - Mar 2017
- Niger: Rift Valley Fever Outbreak - Sep 2016
- Nigeria: Polio Outbreak - Aug 2016
- Niger: Floods - Jul 2016
- Niger: Meningitis Outbreak - Mar 2016
- Niger: Floods - Jul 2015
- Niger: Meningitis and Measles Outbreaks - Apr 2015
- Niger: Cholera Outbreak - Oct 2014
Africa Weather Hazard
Since early August, above-average seasonal rainfall caused flooding in some areas. With well above-average moisture conditions, additional rain in September may trigger flooding in parts of Senegal,
The Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, and Sierra Leone.
Recent heavy rains have caused the Benue River in Nigeria to overflow its banks. Reports indicate that 100,000 people may have been displaced by flooding. Continued rainfall will keep rivers high.
This brief summarizes FEWS NET’s most forward-looking analysis of projected emergency food assistance needs in FEWS NET coverage countries. The projected size of each country’s acutely food insecure population (IPC Phase 3 and higher) is compared to last year and the recent five-year average and categorized as Higher (p), Similar (u), or Lower (q). Countries where external emergency food assistance needs are anticipated are identified. Projected lean season months highlighted in red indicate either an early start or an extension to the typical lean season.
by Parastou Hassouri | published September 12, 2017
European Commission - Press release
Brussels, 6 September 2017
In four progress reports adopted today, the Commission is calling on all parties to sustain and further accelerate the good progress made in managing irregular migration flows, protecting the EU external borders and supporting the frontline Member States under pressure.
1. Le présent rapport, qui couvre la période allant d’août 2015 à juillet 2017, est soumis en application de la résolution 70/80 de l’Assemblée générale, dans laquelle l’Assemblée a prié le Secrétaire général de lui présenter un rapport sur l’application de cette résolution, y compris sur les politiques adoptées et les activités menées par le système des Nations Unies dans ce domaine.
1. The present report, covering the period from August 2015 to July 2017, is submitted pursuant to General Assembly resolution 70/80, in which the Assembly requested the Secretary-General to report on the implementation of that resolution, including on relevant United Nations policies and activities.
BEIJING – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a US$21 million contribution from the Government of the People’s Republic of China to provide urgent food and nutrition assistance to people affected by food crises across eight countries in Africa and Asia.
La réforme des opérations de maintien de la paix, la coopération des Nations Unies avec l’Union africaine et les menaces posées par les actes terroristes, notamment sur la sécurité aérienne, seront au menu des travaux du Conseil de sécurité pour le mois de septembre, a annoncé devant la presse, cet après-midi, le Représentant permanent de l’Éthiopie, M. Tekeda Alemu, dont le pays préside, ce mois-ci, l’organe chargé du maintien de la paix et de la sécurité internationales.
Ethiopia has the presidency in September. A visiting mission to Addis Ababa is planned in early September for the 11th annual consultative meeting between members of the UN Security Council and members of the AU Peace and Security Council (PSC). Immediately after the visit there will be a briefing on the visiting mission. A briefing on the report of the Secretary-General on strengthening the partnership between the UN and the AU by UN Special Representative to the AU Haile Menkerios is also expected in September.
Heavy rains cause flooding and damages in western Sahel, Uganda, and Sudan
Africa Weather Hazards
Locally heavy rainfall caused flooding in several states in Sudan last week.
Although rainfall is expected to decrease throughout the region in early September, saturated ground conditions and elevated river levels sustain the risk for additional flooding.
Our methodology uses 9 indicators, grouped under 3 categories:
Access of humanitarian actors to affected population
Access of people in need to humanitarian aid
Security and physical constraints Each category is measured through proxy indicators, such as violence against personnel, denial of needs, or active hostilities.
Data is collected at the country level and may therefore not show disparities between sub-regions.
Geneva – Some 19,088 migrants have returned home voluntarily with assistance from IOM, the UN Migration Agency, from 1 April to 30 June 2017, according to the IOM AVRR quarterly bulletin published today (18/08). These migrants have returned from 81 host and transit countries to 136 countries and territories of origin.