Appeals & Response Plans
- Mauritania: Drought - May 2018
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Mauritania: Floods - Sep 2013
- Sahel Crisis: 2011-2017
- Mauritania: Floods - Aug 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Mauritania: Floods - Aug 2009
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2008
- Mauritania: Floods - Aug 2007
Maps & Infographics
Lloyd Pierson of the U.S. Africa Development Foundation (USADF) rejects claims that foreign aid has had little impact in Africa. He says aid is most effective when programs are well defined, have proper oversight and get directly to the people they are aimed to help.
Cape Town - The annual report of the Africa Progress Report says that despite authoritarian and corrupt leaders, wars and coups, the overall trend in Africa is towards less conflict, more democracy and greater development.
Selected highlights from its 2009 report:
Progress in the areas of governance and education are mixed, with more democracy and access to education on the one hand, but coups d'etat and low school enrolment still …
Elizabeth Guthrie and Walker Ristau
Flooding has affected millions of Africans throughout the continent in recent days.
From Senegal to Somalia, from Chad to South Africa, hundreds of thousands have been forced from their homes, and many more need food and other supplies. Countries along the Sahel, a stretch of savannah south of the Sahara desert, have been hit particularly hard.