Appeals & Response Plans
- Mauritania: Drought - May 2018
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Mauritania: Floods - Sep 2013
- Sahel Crisis: 2011-2017
- Mauritania: Floods - Aug 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Mauritania: Floods - Aug 2009
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2008
- Mauritania: Floods - Aug 2007
Most read reports
- Mauritania declares itself landmine free nearly two decades after mine clearance began
- IOM Carries Out Displacement Simulation Exercise at Mauritania-Mali Border
- Mauritania: UNHCR Operational Update as of 15 November 2018
- La Délégation du CICR en Mauritanie: faits et chiffres Janvier - Décembre 2017
- Mauritania: UNHCR Operational Update as of 15 October 2018
The plight of thousands of people internally displaced in Mali following the recent military intervention is getting worse The armed intervention launched on 10 January 2012 by the Malian army and foreign troops against Islamist armed groups has caused thousands of people to flee their homes.
According to the latest estimates dating back to 14 January 2013, close to 230,000 people were internally displaced in Mali since January 2012. The overall number of people internally displaced since the beginning of the current military intervention is still unknown.
Few could have predicted that Mali, long considered a beacon of democracy in West Africa, would in less than a year see half its territory overrun by Islamic militants and a tenth of its northern population internally displaced. Instability and insecurity resulting from clashes between government forces and Tuareg separatists and proliferation of armed groups in northern Mali in the wake of a coup d’état have combined with a Sahel-wide food crisis to force some 393,000 Malians from their homes since January 2012, some 118,800 of whom are estimated to be internally displaced.
Qui aurait pu prédire qu’en moins d’une année, au Mali, longtemps considéré comme un modèle de démocratie en Afrique de l'Ouest, les deux-tiers du territoire seraient occupés par des militants islamistes et un dixième de la population du Nord serait déplacé.
To see this news alert with links to the sources click here
To see this news alert with links to sources, click here.