- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2017
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Mozambique/Malawi: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2015
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Hellen - Mar 2014
- Mozambique: Floods - Jan 2013
- Tropical Storm Irina - Mar 2012
- Mozambique: Storms and Floods - Jan 2012
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
Study points to new ways to reduce conflict in fragile states
A major research project by the UK's Stabilisation Unit explores the vital role of political deal-making in reducing violent conflict.
The Elite Bargains and Political Deals research indicates that greater focus on the politics of conflicts, and those who control power and resources on the ground, is crucial to reducing violence.
The Minister for the Middle East and for International Development Alistair Burt said:
Key developments in Africa on the week of June 3rd include the fragile situation in Ethiopia, where political and economic reforms are endangered by ethnic violence; the heavy campaign led by Al Shabaab during the Ramadan month in Somalia; the continued violence in CAR’s Bambari area and in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado region; and other relevant events across the continent.
Global Overview MAY 2018
Armed insurgencies, social cleavages and governance deficits relating to authoritarian rule and abuse of state resources all imperil peace and stability in Southern Africa. The Southern African Development Community’s institutional framework for regional peace and security is proving ineffective because its leaders are unwilling to enforce democratic principles.
Michael Aeby, Researcher, Graduate Institute Geneva
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) launched its pilot regional short and long term election observation training in Pretoria, South Africa from 1 to12 May 2018. The training follows the development of the first comprehensive regional curriculum on election observation in 2017. The curriculum is based on the region’s electoral experiences and the revised SADC Principles and Guidelines Governing Democratic Elections which were adopted by Member States in July 2015.
It’s unclear if new leadership will steer Renamo towards parliamentary politics or election boycotts and violence.
BY PETER FABRICIUS
The sudden death on 3 May of Afonso Dhlakama, leader of the Mozambican National Resistance (Renamo) party, has created both risks and opportunities for his party and the country. The 65-year-old Dhlakama saw himself as a champion of Mozambique’s democracy, but was a hands-on dictator within Renamo.
Global Overview APRIL 2018
Global Overview MARCH 2018
By Marisha Ramdeen
Widening the space, and enhancing the capacities and engagement of women in peace processes in Mozambique.
Global Overview FEBRUARY 2018
Global Overview DECEMBER 2017
Welcome to the November issue of the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project’s (ACLED)
Conflict Trends report. Each month, ACLED researchers gather, analyse and publish data on political violence in Africa in realtime. Weekly updates to realtime conflict event data are published on the ACLED website.
On Monday 16 October 2017 the Council adopted the EU Annual Report on Human Rights And Democracy in the World in 2016.
2016 was a challenging year for human rights and democracy, with a shrinking space for civil society and complex humanitarian and political crises emerging. In this context, the European Union showed leadership and remained strongly committed to promote and protect human rights and democracy across the world.
Giving women a platform to increase their contribution to ending conflict and creating sustainable peace and development in the country.
ACCORD co-facilitated consultation with women and conducted training on women’s engagement in peace processes in Mozambique from 4-8 September 2017.
1. Le présent rapport, qui couvre la période allant d’août 2015 à juillet 2017, est soumis en application de la résolution 70/80 de l’Assemblée générale, dans laquelle l’Assemblée a prié le Secrétaire général de lui présenter un rapport sur l’application de cette résolution, y compris sur les politiques adoptées et les activités menées par le système des Nations Unies dans ce domaine.
1. The present report, covering the period from August 2015 to July 2017, is submitted pursuant to General Assembly resolution 70/80, in which the Assembly requested the Secretary-General to report on the implementation of that resolution, including on relevant United Nations policies and activities.
University of Birmingham
What does recent literature tell us about lessons for donors in supporting elections in post-conflict developing countries when the precedent for a peaceful transition of power is either not well entrenched, or non-existent?
In 2016, BTC started implementing the new assistance paradigm which in 2015 was outlined for the upcoming fifteen years.