- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2017
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Mozambique/Malawi: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2015
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Hellen - Mar 2014
- Mozambique: Floods - Jan 2013
- Tropical Storm Irina - Mar 2012
- Mozambique: Storms and Floods - Jan 2012
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
by Own correspondent
HARARE - Rigid immigration laws of neighbouring countries have discouraged Zimbabwean migrants from registering with host governments in order to access humanitarian support and legal protection, according to a new report released Monday.
The report by South Africa's Witwatersrand University said laws and regulations of most neighbouring countries did not cater for Zimbabwean migrants who it said were "forced humanitarian migrants" who fled their country to look for jobs and other means of earning an income to support themselves and their …
by Nokuthula Sibanda
HARARE - Mining giant Anglo American has pledged R1 million (about US$100 000) to combat a cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe and in parts of South Africa where the disease has spilled.
The funds, to be donated from the Anglo American Chairman's Fund and to be managed by the South African Red Cross Society (SARCS) come as the United Nations said on Thursday that the death toll from cholera in Zimbabwe has soared to 1 111 out of 20 581 cases recorded since the epidemic began in August.
Anglo's donation will be used as part of the SARCS' relief operation …
JOHANNESBURG - Hundreds of foreign nationals displaced in the May xenophobic violence on Thursday received letters from the South African home affairs department turning down their application for asylum status.
The home affairs department had issued all foreigners housed in temporary shelters put up for victims of xenophobic attacks with temporary six-months IDs while they fast-tracked their asylum requests but developments on Thursday left some 2 500 mostly Zimbabweans, Mozambicans and Congolese still in the camps disillusioned as they anticipated possible deportation at the end of …
JOHANNESBURG - South African opposition Democratic Alliance (DA) party on Friday urged the Gauteng provincial government to acknowledge that many displaced victims of xenophobic attacks were too scared to return to their homes.
'The Gauteng provincial government is in denial,' said the DA's James Lorimer.
'Many people have left the shelters, but those remaining are still there because they are too scared to return. That is unlikely to change in two weeks.
The Gauteng provincial government announced on Thursday that the six temporary shelters set up to accommodate …
by Own Correspondent
JOHANNESBURG - At least a third of the 62 people killed in xenophobic violence that hit South Africa last month were South African citizens, a government spokesman said on Thursday.
Government communications head Themba Maseko said an inter-ministerial task team had reported to Cabinet at its meeting on Wednesday that 21 of those who died were South Africans.
Maseko said only five Zimbabwean immigrants are so far known to have died in the violence.
JOHANNESBURG -- The Methodist Church says it will soon move hundreds of Zimbabwean refugees currently based in South Africa to neighbouring countries in southern Africa.