- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2017
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Mozambique/Malawi: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2015
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Hellen - Mar 2014
- Mozambique: Floods - Jan 2013
- Tropical Storm Irina - Mar 2012
- Mozambique: Storms and Floods - Jan 2012
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
January 13, 2003, Baltimore, MD - In a letter to U.S. Bishops, the President of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), Bishop Wilton Gregory, joined Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Chairman and President Bishop Robert Lynch today in calling for prayers and support for the 34 million people throughout Africa affected by a severe food shortage. Absent a massive and immediate response, the crisis could be the worst in Africa since the famine in the mid-1980s.
Christian relief and development agency Tearfund today thanked supporters for their overwhelming response to its appeal to prevent famine in Southern Africa. More than =A34.3 million has been pledged since the appeal was launched in June this year, enabling Tearfund partners in the region to help ease the effects of the devastating food crisis.