Appeals & Response Plans
- Myanmar: Floods and Landslides - Jul 2017
- Tropical Cyclone Mora - May 2017
- Myanmar: Floods - Jun 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Roanu - May 2016
- South-East Asia: Drought - 2015-2017
- Tropical Cyclone Komen - Jul 2015
- Myanmar: Floods and Landslides - Jul 2015
- Myanmar: Floods - Jul 2014
- Myanmar: Floods - Aug 2013
- Tropical Cyclone Mahasen - May 2013
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- "Toxic fear" The situation of children in Rakhine State, Myanmar
- Disaster preparedness for states and regions
- Asia and the Pacific: Weekly Regional Humanitarian Snapshot (27 December 2017- 2 January 2018)
- Public Health Statistics (2014‐2016)
- Will Rohingya Refugees Start Returning to Myanmar in 2018?
By Ashley South
International aid agencies are generally keen to elicit beneficiary participation, do ‘capacity building’ and support local partners. However, this is easier said than done, and local communities and organisations can suffer by contact with international agencies, or at least be excluded from potential benefits.
By Ashley South, Susanne Kempel, Malin Perhult and Nils Carstensen
This study explores the perceptions and realities of people living in parts of the Irrawaddy Delta affected by Cyclone Nargis, which struck Myanmar on the night of 2 May 2008.
In responding to and recovering from Cyclone Nargis, affected communities experienced three ‘phases’ of assistance: