- WFP Myanmar Country Brief, September 2017
- Mission report of OHCHR rapid response mission to Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, 13-24 September 2017
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar, 8 Sep 2017
- RW Topics: Refugees/Migrants - South-East Asia
Appeals & Funding
- 2017 Humanitarian Needs Overview
- 2017 Humanitarian Response Plan
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017: Myanmar
- Country-based Pooled Fund
- UNHCR Global Focus
- OCHA Myanmar
- UNHCR Operational Portal: Thailand-Myanmar Cross Border Portal
- UNFPA: Myanmar 2014 Population and Housing Census
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC)
- Advisory Commission on Rakhine State
- Department of Meteorology and Hydrology
- Food Security Cluster: Myanmar
- Human Rights Watch: Myanmar - Events of 2016
- Myanmar: Floods and Landslides - Jul 2017
- Tropical Cyclone Mora - May 2017
- Myanmar: Floods - Jun 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Roanu - May 2016
- South-East Asia: Drought - 2015-2017
- Tropical Cyclone Komen - Jul 2015
- Myanmar: Floods and Landslides - Jul 2015
- Myanmar: Floods - Jul 2014
- Myanmar: Floods - Aug 2013
- Tropical Cyclone Mahasen - May 2013
The South Asia region is prone to flooding, landslides, droughts and earthquakes, and faces a number of protracted conflicts and related internal and cross-border population displacement. By the end of March 2017, the refugee return crisis from Pakistan and Iran to Afghanistan – brought about by the obligatory or forced repatriation of Afghan refugees from both Pakistan and Iran to their country of origin – will affect an estimated 1.5 million people, 60 per cent of whom are children under 18.
The eighth meeting of the Emergency Committee under the International Health Regulations (2005) (IHR) regarding the international spread of poliovirus was convened via teleconference by the Director-General on 12 February 2016. As with the seventh meeting, the Emergency Committee reviewed the data on circulating wild poliovirus as well as circulating vaccine-derived polioviruses (cVDPV). The latter is particularly important as cVDPVs reflect serious gaps in immunity to poliovirus due to weaknesses in routine immunization coverage in otherwise polio-free countries.
• The dominant feature of the 2014 season across East Asia so far has been widespread rainfall deficits that led to delayed starts of the growing season across vast areas of the continent.
• Conditions were worst around mid July, followed by a general improvement, which still left moderate rainfall deficits as the predominant pattern. SE Pakistan has been the worst affected area, in particular for livelihoods dependent on rainfed agriculture and pastoral resources.
As the number of people significantly affected by the catastrophic floods in Pakistan climbed to an estimated 17.2 million, the United Nations was scaling up relief operations, John Holmes, outgoing Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, said today during a Headquarters news conference.
"This is a disaster of unprecedented scale in terms of the number of people affected and the geographical area affected," he said, calling the situation "extremely challenging".
He said the deadly floods, triggered by torrential monsoon …
Being in the frontline of the war against Islamic extremists has put people under severe risk in Pakistan which leads a global ranking of countries where the threat to civilian life has risen the most in 2009, Minority Rights Group International says as it launches its annual global 'Peoples Under Threat' ranking.
Pakistan is the most significant riser in the ranking compared to the last year and is now placed sixth.
Rome, 7 May 2009 - Following the disastrous 2005 earthquake in Pakistan, several humanitarian organizations came forward to help households who had lost their livestock to rebuild herds and flocks by providing replacement animals.
But most of the animal shelters in the affected areas had been destroyed, and there was also a major shortage of winter feed.
Sixty-third General Assembly