Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- AFD: Sexual health in West Africa: AFD and KfW, a power couple. 19 Oct 2019
- AFD: Transition démographique et santé sexuelle en Afrique de l’Ouest : AFD et KfW, un couple qui marche. 19 Oct 2019
- IOM: Mali: Flow Monitoring Report - Dashboard No. 44 (Reporting period: 1 to 30 September 2019). 17 Oct 2019
- IPS: Displaced by the Desert: An expanding Sahara leaves Broken Families and Violence in its Wake. 18 Oct 2019
- NRC: On-the-record update: Crisis in central and northern Mali. 10 Jul 2019
The Sahel Region of Burkina Faso is going through two major crises since the beginning of the year 2012. The first one is the food crisis that had been predicted since the end of the past rainy season with its very low precipitation. This situation has been aggravated by the influx from Mali, consisting of nearly twenty five thousand (25.000) refugees as consequence of the Tuareg rebellion going on in the neighboring country.
The Sahel region is facing a severe food and nutrition crisis with an estimated 15 million people at risk of food insecurity and more than 1 million children at risk of acute severe malnutrition. Among other countries, Burkina Faso – one of the priority countries of ADC - has called for national and international solidarity.