Appeals & Response Plans
Headlines (last 30 days)
- ACT Alliance: Insecurity in Mali's Menaka region affects humanitarian assistance. 22 Aug 2019
Most read reports
- NRC: On-the-record update: Crisis in central and northern Mali. 10 Jul 2019
- UN: Deputy Secretary-General's remarks on the situation in the Sahel at Informal Joint Meeting of the FAO Council, IFAD Executive Board and WFP Executive Board [as prepared for delivery]. 14 Sep 2019
- UNICEF: Humanitarian Action for Children 2019 - Mali (Revised August 2019). 16 Sep 2019
- MINUSMA: Un projet MINUSMA de 148 Millions de francs en faveur de la protection de l’enfant. 17 Sep 2019
- CARE: Ahead of ECOWAS: Civilian protection must be at the heart of any security response in the Sahel. 13 Sep 2019
The project Caravan of Hope, implemented by HOPE’87 in cooperation with UNESCO in the regions Sikasso in Mali and Région de Centre and the province Kénédougou in Burkina Faso, aims to strengthen the capacities of rural women and women’s organisations. To raise awareness about different topics such as HIV/AIDS, forced marriage and child trafficking through various channels, the project enforces a double strategy. On the one side, training workshops for women’s organisations were carried out, addressing the important role of women’s organisation in societal change and awareness raising.
The Sahel Region of Burkina Faso is going through two major crises since the beginning of the year 2012. The first one is the food crisis that had been predicted since the end of the past rainy season with its very low precipitation. This situation has been aggravated by the influx from Mali, consisting of nearly twenty five thousand (25.000) refugees as consequence of the Tuareg rebellion going on in the neighboring country.
The Sahel region is facing a severe food and nutrition crisis with an estimated 15 million people at risk of food insecurity and more than 1 million children at risk of acute severe malnutrition. Among other countries, Burkina Faso – one of the priority countries of ADC - has called for national and international solidarity.