Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- Number of children suffering from severe acute malnutrition across the Sahel reaches 10-year high
- Settling local disputes is key to peace in Central Mali
- Mali: “Real climate of fear and insecurity in country’s north and centre,” says expert
- Mali Key Message Update, November 2018
- Sahel : le nombre d'enfants souffrant de malnutrition aiguë sévère atteint son plus haut niveau en 10 ans (UNICEF)
As the world prepares to discuss climate change in South Africa next week, activists and researchers are pointing to a region that has been among the most affected in recent years - the Niger River basin in West Africa. In addition to identifying the region's problems, there has been an effort to find solutions to help vulnerable populations there.
A video on the website of the Netherlands-based group Wetlands International shows scenes of parched land, dried up river beds and deforestation in the Niger River basin.