Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Mali Key Message Update, August 2018
- Mali : Key Message Update - Les appuis humanitaires en cours atténuent les difficultés alimentaires de la soudure en cours, août 2018
- Mali : Bulletin humanitaire, mai-juin 2018
- Make Sunday ‘an important celebration of democracy’ UN chief urges voters in Mali
- Mali Presidential Election Marred by Violence
by Lisa Schlein
GENEVA — The World Food Program says it is scaling up its humanitarian operation in West Africa’s Sahel region to assist 10 million people critically short of food. WFP says among the beneficiaries will be 1.3 million people in Mali, including 300,000 internally displaced within the country.
Giant clouds of desert locusts have invaded a huge chunk of North and sub-Saharan Africa, threatening to devastate some of the world's poorest countries. Experts estimate this year's locust infestation is the worst in nearly two decades. And, without assistance from the international community, some fear they may even cause a famine. Lisa Bryant tracked the locusts in Mauritania, one of the countries hardest hit by the plague.