Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- Réduire les violences communautaires grâce à deux projets d’infrastructures agricoles dans la région de Gao
- Deadly Mali attack to be investigated by UN rights experts
- Mali: Humanitarian Response Plan - Financial Tracker (as at 31 December 2018)
- Mali: MINUSMA Deployment, December 2018
- Mali: “Real climate of fear and insecurity in country’s north and centre,” says expert
by Lisa Schlein
GENEVA — The World Food Program says it is scaling up its humanitarian operation in West Africa’s Sahel region to assist 10 million people critically short of food. WFP says among the beneficiaries will be 1.3 million people in Mali, including 300,000 internally displaced within the country.
Giant clouds of desert locusts have invaded a huge chunk of North and sub-Saharan Africa, threatening to devastate some of the world's poorest countries. Experts estimate this year's locust infestation is the worst in nearly two decades. And, without assistance from the international community, some fear they may even cause a famine. Lisa Bryant tracked the locusts in Mauritania, one of the countries hardest hit by the plague.