Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- Successful Elections, New Peace Pact in Mali Foster Hope for Stability Despite Spread of Extremism across Sahel, Peacekeeping Chief Tells Security Council
- Mali: “Real climate of fear and insecurity in country’s north and centre,” says expert
- Climate resilient programmes in Mali: What we know and how to do it better
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation in Mali (S/2018/866)
- Can a hungry Mali turn rice technology into 'white gold'?
As the world prepares to discuss climate change in South Africa next week, activists and researchers are pointing to a region that has been among the most affected in recent years - the Niger River basin in West Africa. In addition to identifying the region's problems, there has been an effort to find solutions to help vulnerable populations there.
A video on the website of the Netherlands-based group Wetlands International shows scenes of parched land, dried up river beds and deforestation in the Niger River basin.