Appeals & Response Plans
Most read (last 30 days)
- Mali : Plan de réponse humanitaire (janvier - décembre 2018)
- Mali: People with disabilities brave the odds
- Climate-smart agriculture improves livelihoods of rural women in Mali
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2018 - Mali
- Mali: Overview of humanitarian access constraints (summary of constraints from January to December 2017)
GENEVA — "I was 12 years old when I was raped. I did not understand what was happening."
Nelle is now 36 years old. But in 1993 when war broke out in Burundi, armed men came to her village near the capital, Bujumbura. They killed her mother and father and six siblings. She was raped, but she survived.
“I saw people were killing each other. They were running away and killing each other. I hid myself under dead bodies for five days,” she said.