Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- The European Union mobilises an extra €50 million for structural reforms in Mali
- Mali: New law will reinforce the culture of impunity for human rights violations
- Synthèse des incidents de protection, Novembre 2018
- Mali: “Real climate of fear and insecurity in country’s north and centre,” says expert
- Mali: More than 34,000 persons left to starve await humanitarian aid
GENEVA — "I was 12 years old when I was raped. I did not understand what was happening."
Nelle is now 36 years old. But in 1993 when war broke out in Burundi, armed men came to her village near the capital, Bujumbura. They killed her mother and father and six siblings. She was raped, but she survived.
“I saw people were killing each other. They were running away and killing each other. I hid myself under dead bodies for five days,” she said.