Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- AFD: Sexual health in West Africa: AFD and KfW, a power couple. 19 Oct 2019
- AFD: Transition démographique et santé sexuelle en Afrique de l’Ouest : AFD et KfW, un couple qui marche. 19 Oct 2019
- IOM: Mali: Flow Monitoring Report - Dashboard No. 44 (Reporting period: 1 to 30 September 2019). 17 Oct 2019
- NRC: On-the-record update: Crisis in central and northern Mali. 10 Jul 2019
- IPS: Displaced by the Desert: An expanding Sahara leaves Broken Families and Violence in its Wake. 18 Oct 2019
Global Overview JULY 2018
The month saw violent extremist movements, including the Islamic State (IS) and al-Qaeda-linked groups, carry out major deadly attacks in Turkey, Pakistan, Côte d’Ivoire, Tunisia and Belgium. In Libya, the arrival of Prime Minister Serraj in Tripoli despite warnings from multiple factions could lead to further destabilisation. Meanwhile in Central Africa, political violence rose in Burundi and could break out in Chad around the 10 April presidential election.
The month saw an intensification of Yemen’s war, amid heightened regional rivalries between Saudi Arabia and Iran complicating prospects for peace. Political tensions increased in Haiti, Guinea-Bissau and Moldova, where protests over endemic corruption and a lack of confidence in the government could escalate. In Africa, Boko Haram’s deadly attacks increased in northern Cameroon, and Burkina Faso was hit by an unprecedented terror attack.