Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- NRC: On-the-record update: Crisis in central and northern Mali. 10 Jul 2019
- World Vision: Central and Northern Mali Emergency Response Situation Report | September, 2019. 13 Oct 2019
- MINUSMA: Manifestations à Sévaré : la MINUSMA appelle au calme et à la retenue. 14 Oct 2019
- FEWS NET: West Africa Price Bulletin, September 2019. 1 Oct 2019
- INFORM: INFORM Risk Index - Sahel 2019. 9 Oct 2019
88,250 in Q1-Q3 2018
143,500 in Q1-Q3 2017
Dead and Missing
1,866 in Q1-Q3 2018
2,685 in Q1-Q3 2017
Director-General of the UN Office in Geneva,
Colleagues and friends,
It is an honour to be called to this mandate, to assist States to uphold the human rights of their people, in this year in which we celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
The global terrorist threat continued to evolve rapidly in 2015, becoming increasingly decentralized and diffuse. Terrorist groups continued to exploit an absence of credible and effective state institutions, where avenues for free and peaceful expression of opinion were blocked, justice systems lacked credibility, and where security force abuses and government corruption went unchecked.