the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- FYR Macedonia: Cold Wave - Jan 2017
- FYR Macedonia: Flash Floods - Aug 2016
- FYR Macedonia: Flash Floods and Mudslides - Aug 2015
- South-Eastern Europe: Floods - Feb 2015
- FYR Macedonia: Cold Wave - Dec 2014
- FYR Macedonia: Floods - Feb 2013
- Europe/Northern Africa: Cold Wave - Jan 2012
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: Forest Fires - Jul 2007
- Central/Eastern Europe: Heat Wave - Jul 2007
Testimony of Ms. Erin A. Weir
Peacekeeping Advocate for Refugees International on the
"New Challenges for International Peacekeeping Operations"
House Foreign Affairs Committee
On mission in the Balkans in July and August, Refugees International (RI) concluded that in the entire region the most vulnerable population, whose plight is least known, is the Roma. Their problems are myriad: 50% of Roma internally displaced people (IDPs) and refugees are not registered; many live in illegal collective centers, where NGOs are now reducing assistance; even those who are registered face drastic cuts in international assistance in the name of reducing budgets and aid dependence.
While diplomats worked heroically to prevent a violent civil war in Macedonia, humanitarian agencies led by the UN and International Committee for the Red Cross have been planning for a worst case scenario.
One of the important roles for Refugees International is to monitor situations that may develop into major crises of displacement. RI staff identify vulnerable countries or regions and begin the task of reading press reports, searching the web for background information, attending public briefings in Washington, and talking to staff of peer agencies. In the event that a major crisis appears to be looming, RI will send an assessment mission to gather information directly.
By Amina Tirana, 06/16/99