the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- FYR Macedonia: Cold Wave - Jan 2017
- FYR Macedonia: Flash Floods - Aug 2016
- FYR Macedonia: Flash Floods and Mudslides - Aug 2015
- South-Eastern Europe: Floods - Feb 2015
- FYR Macedonia: Cold Wave - Dec 2014
- FYR Macedonia: Floods - Feb 2013
- Europe/Northern Africa: Cold Wave - Jan 2012
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: Forest Fires - Jul 2007
- Central/Eastern Europe: Heat Wave - Jul 2007
From FM Alert, Vol III, No. 22 - June 4, 1999
A new position paper written by European experts urges the European Union to take the lead in formulating a reconstruction framework for war-ravaged Balkan nations, stressing the region's need to be fully integrated into existing European political and economic institutions. Although fighting still rages in the separatist-minded province of Kosovo, post-conflict policy debates are already taking shape.
The refugees arriving in Macedonia from neighboring Kosovo have already survived unspeakable hardships. Nevertheless, their travails may be just beginning. Only approximately five percent of the refugees possess all essential documents, such as passports and property titles. This lack of documents could greatly complicate repatriation efforts, especially given the large-scale destruction of Kosovo's housing stock. The process of forging mechanisms that address the document issue should commence immediately, thereby helping to facilitate repatriation once it becomes possible.
Several of the national foundations and network programs in the Soros foundations network are responding to the war in Kosovo and the displacement of Kosovars. In Albania and Macedonia, the foundations are mobilizing existing resources and discretionary funds to undertake a range of important initiatives. Network programs, including the Forced Migration Projects, are working closely with the foundations in their specialized areas.