the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- FYR Macedonia: Cold Wave - Jan 2017
- FYR Macedonia: Flash Floods - Aug 2016
- FYR Macedonia: Flash Floods and Mudslides - Aug 2015
- South-Eastern Europe: Floods - Feb 2015
- FYR Macedonia: Cold Wave - Dec 2014
- FYR Macedonia: Floods - Feb 2013
- Europe/Northern Africa: Cold Wave - Jan 2012
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: Forest Fires - Jul 2007
- Central/Eastern Europe: Heat Wave - Jul 2007
Most read reports
- Working Across Borders to Improve Early Warnings in South Eastern Europe
- Factsheet on the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia - Last updated 07/02/2018
- 6 February 2015: Southern Europe -Severe weather
- the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia - Floods - ECHO Daily Map | 08/08/2016
- Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: Extreme Winter Condition Emergency Plan of Action (EPoA) DREF Operation n° MDRMK003
Mass protests and political upheavals across the Middle East and North Africa, unexpected crises in Kyrgyzstan and Madagascar, ongoing conflicts, long-standing political stalemates, and countries recovering from conflict drove continued reliance on political missions over the past year.
Overviews of international engagement in conflict-affected states typically focus on military peacekeeping and the economics of postconflict peacebuilding. This excludes an array of primarily civilian missions deployed by the United Nations (UN) as well as other multilateral institutions in countries and regions that are at risk of, experiencing or emerging from violence.
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
38th & 39th Meetings (AM & PM)
High Commissioner for Refugees Says Trends Causing Crises to Multiply; Means Humanitarian Action Operating in Difficult International Environment
Five "mega-trends" -- population growth, urbanization, climate change, migration and food, water and energy insecurity –- made contemporary forms of displacement increasingly complex, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees told the Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural) today.
Daniel Korski & Richard Gowan
Broken promises and treating Afghanistan, DR Congo and Iraq like Bosnia has left the EU without the capacity to prevent fragile states from becoming failing states. This is the main finding of the latest report from the European Council on Foreign Relations, published today.
According to the report, Can the EU rebuild failing states?
Conseil de sécurité
6196e séance – matin & après-midi
Dans une nouvelle résolution, il demande que les ressources nécessaires soient allouées à la réponse aux besoins des femmes et des filles dans les situations postconflit
Le Conseil de sécurité a adopté, aujourd'hui, à l'unanimité de ses 15 membres une nouvelle résolution sur les femmes, la paix et la sécurité. Ce texte vient renforcer le volet participation de la résolution 1325 (2000), dont l'ONU célébrera le dixième anniversaire l'année prochaine.
Sixty-fourth General Assembly GA/10863
7th & 8th Meetings (AM & PM)
In Recorded Vote, Member States Block Address by President of Madagascar
Championing their struggle to rebuild strife-torn nations and secure peace and long-term development, several leaders of the global South today appealed to the General Assembly for broad support to help them staunch terrorism, further entrench democracy and ensure that hard-won electoral gains would not be lost.
BUREAU OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Office of the Spokesman
The present report examines the challenges faced by the United Nations and its partners in providing professional mediation assistance to parties in conflict. It describes the need for experienced and knowledgeable mediators and support teams, with women adequately represented, and sufficient resources to provide assistance at an early stage to help parties design and pursue processes that will address the root causes of their conflicts, overcome obstacles that block progress, and achieve agreements that lead to sustainable peace.
1. A significant increase in the numbers of persons of concern to UNHCR brought new challenges in 2006. While there was a 14 per cent increase in refugee numbers from the previous year, the Office's involvement, together with other humanitarian partners, in protecting and assisting internally displaced persons (IDPs) under the inter-agency cluster approach, resulted in a doubling of IDP figures. Thanks to better data capturing, many more stateless people have been identified, also swelling numbers.
Researched, written and published by the Humanitarian Policy Group at ODI
GENEVA -- The UN refugee agency said on Friday that it was seeking over $1 billion to fund its refugee assistance and protection work next year to care for more than 20.5 million refugees and other people worldwide. This includes $955 million for its annual budget and over $57 million for supplementary programs for the Liberian crisis and Sudanese refugees.
Fifty-eighth General Assembly
37th Meeting (AM)
The progress made over the last year to revitalize the activities of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), particularly with regard to implementing the outcomes of major international conferences, was highlighted this morning, as the General Assembly considered the report of that body.
CROP AND FOOD SUPPLY SITUATION
4818th Meeting (AM)
Members Stress Need for Clear Mandates, Importance of Humanitarian Efforts, Electoral Assistance, Adequate Resources, Economic Reconstruction
Wrapping up their work for August, members of the Security Council this morning focused on ways of providing better support for United Nations peacekeeping operations in various parts of the world.
This document supplements the ICRC's Headquarters Appeal 2003and contains:
- an overview of the ICRC's operations in 2003
- a description of its presence in the field
- a breakdown of its operational organization
- a description of its target populations
- a concise description of its programmes
- a brief description of its 63 delegations
- overall budget amounts
- overall budget and budgets by programme for each delegation
AS WARS AND CONFLICT IMPACT OUR LIVES
Press Release NGO/480 - PI/1443
DPI/NGO Annual Conference
AM & PM Meetings