the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- FYR Macedonia: Cold Wave - Jan 2017
- FYR Macedonia: Flash Floods - Aug 2016
- FYR Macedonia: Flash Floods and Mudslides - Aug 2015
- South-Eastern Europe: Floods - Feb 2015
- FYR Macedonia: Cold Wave - Dec 2014
- FYR Macedonia: Floods - Feb 2013
- Europe/Northern Africa: Cold Wave - Jan 2012
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: Forest Fires - Jul 2007
- Central/Eastern Europe: Heat Wave - Jul 2007
As night-time temperatures in Macedonia start to fall, Islamic Relief has been distributing items to refugees.
Islamic Relief launched its Mediterranean Refugee Crisis appeal in August. The complex crisis in Syria means refugees are fleeing their home country to find safety. Many have undertaken perilous journeys in an attempt to find safety in Europe, with more than one million arriving in Europe in 2015.
During the period from 23 to 27 December inclusive:
- 17,515 refugees and migrants arrived: 16,957 from fYRo Macedonia and 558 from Bulgaria
- 17,094 asylum seekers departed to Croatia.
- 17,722 asylum seekers were registered, bringing the total in 2015 to 570,780.
82nd Meeting (PM & Night)
It Also Takes Action on Outstanding Drafts Submitted by Other Main Committees
Upon the recommendation of its Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary), the General Assembly tonight approved a budget of $5.4 billion for the 2016-2017 biennium as it concluded the main part of its seventieth session.
So far this year 972,551 people have arrived by sea in Europe. At least 243,000 of all arrivals are children. More than half of them entered Europe between October and December 2015.
The proportion of children registered at the border between Greece and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia has increased from 9 per cent in June to 35 per cent in the first two weeks of December.
■ 20,774 refugees and migrants crossed the border into fYR Macedonia during the reporting period 11-17 December, with a daily average of 2,968. Since UNHCR began monitoring departures from Gevgelija on 1 July 2015 some 648,178 refugees and migrants have departed.
■ Intention to apply for asylum: 348,017 applications have been filed from 19 June through 17 December 2015 (source: Ministry of Interior).
On 17 December, Minister Aleksandar Vulin opened a new Refugee Aid Point (RAP) in Miratovac, 1.2 km from the border with fYRo Macedonia. Together with the Ambassador of Norway, Minister Vulin also opened the first phase of the Preševo Tobacco factory renovation, increasing the heated overnight shelter capacity of the Reception Centre (RC) in Preševo by 120 beds.
Missing Migrants Project is a global database sharing key data on deceased and missing migrants along migratory routes. This info-graphic focuses on migrant arrivals and fatalities in the Mediterranean region. #MissingMigrants
The European Commission (EC) enacted four major decisions during this reporting period. It:
7593rd Meeting (AM)
Russian Federation Abstains as Members Adopt Resolution 2256 (2015)
The Security Council, adopting resolution 2256 (2015) by a recorded vote of 14 in favour to none against, with 1 abstention (Russian Federation), today decided to extend the term of office for 17 permanent and ad litem judges of the Trial Chambers and the Appeals Chamber at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
• The main current humanitarian concerns are the impact of selective entry procedures along the route, the increased shelter/NFI needs in the winter months, the situation of unaccompanied minors, and the unpredictability of flow and political developments that hamper response planning.
• None of the Balkan countries currently have the capacity and/or financial resources to address the full spectrum of humanitarian needs, making Governments, particularly Greece, reliant on external support for an important part of the service provision.
(Brussels) - The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia has resumed the practice of arbitrarily detaining migrants and asylum seekers. The detentions are ostensibly to secure their testimony as witnesses in criminal proceedings against people suspected of smuggling migrants.
When children see the toys and coloured chairs outside the Terre des hommes (Tdh) caravan on the Serbo-Croatian border, they run towards it. Hadi, a four-year-old boy from Syria, shows staff his jacket, which has a broken zip. A young psychologist gives him a new coat. Hadi has been travelling for 10 days with his family. His father asks how far away Germany is. After taking a few minutes to relax and play, the family sets off in better spirits.
Ambassador of Japan, Juichi Takahara, accompanied by Minister Vulin and the UNHCR Representative, visited the new RAP in Miratovac and the Presevo Reception Centre (RC). The Ambassador was updated on recent developments in Miratovac and Presevo by the authorities, UNHCR and IOM and visited WASH and medical facilities funded by the Government of Japan.
• 2,649 refugees and migrants arrived: 2,596 from fYRo Macedonia and 53 from Bulgaria.
• 3,200 asylum seekers departed to Croatia.
Dear Mr. Deputy Prime Minister
Dear Mr. Minister
Dear Ambassador Orav
Excellencies, distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen
On behalf of the entire United Nations family here in Skopje, let me start by thanking the Secretariat for European Affairs and the Regional Cooperation Council for organizing an event devoted to such a crucial issue, as well as for the opportunity to share a few remarks during this opening session.
2014 and 2015 have been two years of strong mobilisation for SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL's teams, who have had to take urgent action regarding too many crises. Feedback on two years of intense campaigns.