- Tropical Storm Nate - Oct 2017
- Mexico: Earthquake - Sep 2017
- Mexico/Guatemala: Earthquake - Sep 2017
- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Central America: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Latin America: Storm Surge - May 2015
- Mexico/Guatemala: Earthquake - Jul 2014
- Central America: Drought - 2014-2017
- Mexico: Tropical Storms Ingrid and Manuel - Sep 2013
Bruselas/Washington, 29 de abril 2015.- Las organizaciones firmantes expresamos nuestra preocupación ante la crisis que está frenando la implementación del Mecanismo Nacional de Protección a Personas Defensoras y Periodistas en los últimos meses.
Brussels/Washington, 29 April 2015. The undersigned organisations express our concerns regarding a crisis thwarting the implementation of the Mexican Federal Protection Mechanism for Human Rights Defenders and Journalists in recent months.
Numbers are down, but record arrivals continue. And Mexico’s crackdown is cause for concern
By Adam Isacson
In March, U.S. Border Patrol apprehended 3,138 unaccompanied children on the U.S. side of the border with Mexico. Of that number, 1,070 kids were Mexican citizens. 579 were from El Salvador, 1,084 were from Guatemala, and 368 were from Honduras.
In December 2006, Mexico’s government launched a military-police offensive that, more than 40,000 organized crime-related deaths later, has not made the country safer. At congressional hearings or press briefings in Washington, whenever people discuss solutions to Mexico’s out-of-control violence, someone will inevitably bring up Colombia as a “model.” The United States, the speaker will say, must offer Mexico an adapted version of “Plan Colombia,” the framework in which the South American nation has received $8.5 billion in mostly military U.S. aid since 2000.