- Tropical Storm Nate - Oct 2017
- Mexico: Earthquakes - Sep 2017
- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Central America: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Latin America: Storm Surge - May 2015
- Mexico/Guatemala: Earthquake - Jul 2014
- Central America: Drought - 2014-2017
- Mexico: Tropical Storms Ingrid and Manuel - Sep 2013
- Central America: Dengue Outbreak - 2013-2014
More than half of the activist deaths in the world have occurred in Latin America.
2015 was a dismal year for those who defend human rights in the region. According to Front Line Defenders, an international organization dedicated to the protection of human rights defenders, with headquarters in Ireland, 156 people died in the past year for defending human rights, 87 of them in Latin America and 54 alone in Colombia.
More than 22,000 persons were subjected to forced disappearance between 2006 and 2014. The practice of enforced disappearance is widespread throughout the territory of Mexico and most cases remain unpunished, declared the United Nations Committee on Enforced Disappearances in a report released on Feb. 13.