- Tropical Storm Nate - Oct 2017
- Mexico: Earthquakes - Sep 2017
- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Central America: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Latin America: Storm Surge - May 2015
- Mexico/Guatemala: Earthquake - Jul 2014
- Central America: Drought - 2014-2017
- Mexico: Tropical Storms Ingrid and Manuel - Sep 2013
- Central America: Dengue Outbreak - 2013-2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- UNICEF statement on situation of migrant children at Mexico-U.S. border
- Los migrantes de las caravanas reciben apoyo de la OIM para retornar a sus países
- Caravana de migrantes: Los Estados tienen el deber de proteger los derechos humanos
- Migrant Caravan and increased child migration in the north of Central America and Mexico Humanitarian Situation Report, October - November 2018
- IOM Monitors Caravans of Central American Migrants, Supports Voluntary Returns
Global trends and challenges
More than 1 per cent of people across the planet right now are caught up in major humanitarian crises. The international humanitarian system is more effective than ever at meeting their needs – but global trends including poverty, population growth and climate change are leaving more people than ever vulnerable to the devastating impacts of conflicts and disasters.
Countries in the Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region are highly vulnerable to a range of natural hazards, including droughts, earthquakes, forest fires, floods, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions. Between FY 2008 and FY 2017, USAID’s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (USAID/ OFDA) and USAID’s Office of Food for Peace (USAID/ FFP) provided humanitarian assistance in response to a diverse range of emergencies in the region.
What is UNDAC?
The United Nations Disaster Assessment and Coordination (UNDAC) is part of the international emergency response system for sudden-onset emergencies.
UNDAC was created in 1993. It is designed to help the United Nations and governments of disaster-affected countries during the first phase of a sudden-onset emergency. UNDAC also assists in the coordination of incoming international relief at national level and/or at the site of the emergency.
Mapa versión en español