- Tropical Storm Nate - Oct 2017
- Mexico: Earthquake - Sep 2017
- Mexico/Guatemala: Earthquake - Sep 2017
- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Central America: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Latin America: Storm Surge - May 2015
- Mexico/Guatemala: Earthquake - Jul 2014
- Central America: Drought - 2014-2017
- Mexico: Tropical Storms Ingrid and Manuel - Sep 2013
Antigua and Barbuda
CAUSE OF DISPLACEMENT
About 1,400 new displacements between 7 and 8 September
Sismo de 4.6 grados sacudió el sur de Ica durante la madrugada
Un sismo de regular intensidad se registró esta madrugada en la ciudad de Ica, sin reportarse hasta el momento daños personales o materiales, informó el Instituto Geofísico del Perú (IGP) al COEN DEFENSA.
El movimiento telúrico de 4.6 grados en la escala de Richter se sintió a la 1:39 de la madrugada y su epicentro se ubicó a 48 kilómetros al sur del distrito de Ica, con una profundidad de 51 kilómetros.
La prioridad actual es atender a los sectores vulnerados por las recientes afectaciones: Betancourt Esponda
Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas.- El Gobierno del Estado a través de la Secretaría de Obra Pública y Comunicaciones (SOPyC) atiende permanentemente las afectaciones por el sismo y las recientes lluvias en Chiapas, activando cuadrillas que trabajan día y noche en las zonas vulneradas.
Oleaje de 3 a 4 m y viento con rachas superiores a 80 km/h, se estiman en las costas de Tamaulipas y Veracruz.
Heavy seasonal rains in Latin America and the Caribbean have triggered flooding and landslides throughout the region. Earthquakes in Guatemala and Ecuador have resulted in some damages and casualties, while a series of microquakes in El Salvador were reported on 30 June - authorities have been responding as needed.
Forecasters predict a 70 per cent likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms for the upcoming hurricane season, running from 1 June to 30 November.
Dryness remains in the Greater Horn of Africa
Africa Weather Hazards
Below-average and erratic rainfall since December has resulted in strong moisture deficits and degraded ground conditions. However, above-average rainfall since March has helped to alleviate seasonal dryness.
Despite an increase in moisture following the passage of Tropical Cyclone Enawo during early March, long- term moisture deficits remain due to very poor rains earlier in the season throughout central and eastern Madagascar.
Countries in the Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region experience a range of natural hazards, including droughts, earthquakes, floods, forest fires, hurricanes, landslides, tsunamis, and volcanoes. El Niño and La Niña, extreme phases of natural climate cycles, periodically exacerbate the impacts of hydrometeorological events in the LAC region. Unplanned urban expansion, environmental degradation, and poor land-use management also increase populations’ vulnerability to natural hazards.
In 2016, EM-DAT preliminary data indicates that 301 country level disasters occurred, affecting 102 countries. The impact of which sums up to a total of 7,628 deaths, 411 million affected people, and US$97 billion of economic damages.
Facts & Figures:
The European Commission's humanitarian aid to Central America and Mexico amounts to €212.8 million since 1994. €76.6 million for Disaster Risk Reduction since 1998, of which €8.3 million have been allocated for 2016-2017.
European Commission humanitarian assistance to Central America and Mexico for 2016-2017: €13.5 million
MEXICO, USA – TC PAINE
• Tropical Cyclone PAINE continued moving north near the western coasts of Baja California peninsula, weakening and becoming a Post Tropical Cyclone. On 21 September at 3.00 (UTC) its centre was located approx. 140 km west of Punta Eugenia (Baja California State) and it had max. sustained winds speed of 55 km/h.
MEXICO – TC PAINE
• TC PAINE continued moving north north-west over open waters, slightly weakening. On 20 September at 6.00 (UTC) its centre was located approx. 435 km south south-west of Punta Eugenia (Baja California State) and it had max. sustained winds speed of 110 km/h (Tropical Storm).
• Over the next 24 h it is forecast to continue moving north with a turn to the north-east approaching the western coast of Baja California state, weakening further.
• Severe weather, including heavy rain, thunderstorms and hail, has continued to affect the central and southern areas of the country, causing more casualties and damage.
• According to national authorities, five people have died, one has gone missing, 11 have been injured, over 3 600 people have been evacuated and over 23 600 houses have been partially or fully damaged in the provinces of Shanxi, Henan, Hubei, Sichuan, Shaanxi, Gansu, Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan, as of 7 June
Este boletín analiza la seguridad alimentaria, la producción y comercio de cereales y las políticas de los países referidas a la seguridad alimentaria durante el primer trimestre de 2016.
28 MILLION PEOPLE FORCIBLY DISPLACED BY CONFLICT AND DISASTERS IN 2015 AND MILLIONS MORE STILL INVISIBLE: IDMC NEW REPORT HIGHLIGHTS GLOBAL CRISIS OF INTERNAL DISPLACEMENT
Conflict, violence and disasters internally displaced 27.8 million people in 2015, subjecting a record number of men, women and children to the trauma and upheaval of being forcibly displaced within their own country.
Este documento analiza las crisis registradas en América Latina y el Caribe durante 2015, así como la respuesta por parte de la Oficina de Coordinación de Asuntos Humanitarios - Oficina Regional para América Latina y el Caribe (OCHA ROLAC).
También recoge las actividades relacionadas con preparación frente a desastres, así como los eventos desarrollados con socios estratégicos que significaron un avance en busca de una mejor coordinación para una respuesta humanitaria eficiente.
This document reviews the major emergencies in 2015 and the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs - Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (OCHA ROLAC) response.
It also includes details of the disaster preparedness activities and joint ventures with strategic partners that represented innovations in better coordination for effective humanitarian response.