- Tropical Storm Nate - Oct 2017
- Mexico: Earthquakes - Sep 2017
- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Central America: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Latin America: Storm Surge - May 2015
- Mexico/Guatemala: Earthquake - Jul 2014
- Central America: Drought - 2014-2017
- Mexico: Tropical Storms Ingrid and Manuel - Sep 2013
- Central America: Dengue Outbreak - 2013-2014
Most read (last 30 days)
- Earthquake in Mexico, Shake Map, 2018-02-17
- Mexico - Earthquake (DG ECHO, GDACS, USGS, Mexico Civil Protection, Oaxaca Civil Protection, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 18 February 2018)
- Earthquake in Oaxaca, Mexico. 37km NE of Pinotepa de Don Luis. Magnitude: 7.2 Depth: 24.65 (17 Feb 2018)
- Mexico Earthquake Humanitarian Situation Report No. 11 - 28 February 2018
- Oaxaca requests aid after strong Mexico quake damages 1,000 homes
Countries in the Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region are highly vulnerable to a range of natural hazards, including droughts, earthquakes, forest fires, floods, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions. Between FY 2008 and FY 2017, USAID’s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (USAID/ OFDA) and USAID’s Office of Food for Peace (USAID/ FFP) provided humanitarian assistance in response to a diverse range of emergencies in the region.
Este boletín analiza la seguridad alimentaria, la producción y comercio de cereales y las políticas de los países referidas a la seguridad alimentaria durante el primer trimestre de 2016.
DESLAVE: Continua la búsqueda de 28 personas desaparecidas en Brasil, luego del alud de lodo provocado por el colapso de dos diques de contención de residuos minerales de una mina.
LLUVIAS E INUNDACIONES: Unas 5,000 personas están afectadas por lluvias en Colombia, mientras que los especialistas indican que este año ha llovido un 57% menos en el país, con respecto a 2014.
SEQUÍA: Expertos productores estiman que la producción de granos básicos en Nicaragua ha disminuido entre un 50 y 75% en el “corredor seco”.
LANDSLIDE: The search for 28 people missing continues in Brazil after the mudslide caused by the collapse of two dams tailings from a mine.
RAINS AND FLOODS: 5,000 people are affected by rains in Colombia. Specialists indicate that this year it rained less than 57% in the country with respect to 2014.
DROUGHT: Experts estimate that production of basic grains in Nicaragua has decreased between 50 and 75% in the "dry corridor".
Caribbean Red Cross Program Transitions into Second Phase
A USAID/OFDA-supported Red Cross program to strengthen disaster preparedness in the Caribbean concluded its first phase in August and will begin phase two in October.
The program, "Readiness to Respond: Increased Disaster Preparedness through Enhanced Coordination and Community Awareness," is a joint effort between USAID/OFDA, the American Red Cross, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, and Caribbean Red Cross societies.
USAID/OFDA provided more than …
Latin American Countries Adopt the Incident Command System
USAID/OFDA is providing assistance to 16 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) that are implementing the Incident Command System (ICS).
The ICS is a predefined chain of command first employed in the U.S. state of California in the 1970s in response to extensive forest fires.
"This year has been a year like no other for humanitarian action, bracketed by devastating disasters, - the Indian Ocean Tsunami in the final days of 2004 and the South Asia earthquake of October 2005, on top of the worst hurricane season in living memory - and stretching all humanitarian agencies to their maximum capacity and beyond." (Introduction of Humanitarian Appeals 2006- 30 November 2005)