- Tropical Storm Nate - Oct 2017
- Mexico: Earthquakes - Sep 2017
- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Central America: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Latin America: Storm Surge - May 2015
- Mexico/Guatemala: Earthquake - Jul 2014
- Central America: Drought - 2014-2017
- Mexico: Tropical Storms Ingrid and Manuel - Sep 2013
- Central America: Dengue Outbreak - 2013-2014
Most read reports
- Mexico: Honduran caravan is not a security threat but a group of people with human rights
- UNICEF evalúa situación de la niñez y ofrece apoyo tras inundaciones en Sinaloa
- Las lluvias en Sinaloa dejan al menos tres muertos y miles de evacuados
- Impacto socioeconómico de los principales desastres ocurridos en México en el año 2016
- Refuerza Gobierno de la República acciones de recuperación en Estados afectados por fenómenos naturales
The ECDC Communicable Disease Threats Report (CDTR) is a weekly bulletin for epidemiologists and health professionals on active public health threats. This issue covers the period 26 November - 2 December 2017 and includes updates on influenza, plague, monkeypox, yellow fever, chikungunya, dengue and Zika.
On Monday 16 October 2017 the Council adopted the EU Annual Report on Human Rights And Democracy in the World in 2016.
2016 was a challenging year for human rights and democracy, with a shrinking space for civil society and complex humanitarian and political crises emerging. In this context, the European Union showed leadership and remained strongly committed to promote and protect human rights and democracy across the world.
Geneva, February 7, 2017 – Business networks from 12 countries - members of the Connecting Business initiative (CBi) - are coming together today in the first CBi Annual Event to identify opportunities for collaboration and share their experiences to disaster risk reduction, emergency response and recovery.
This website allows you to explore how different scenarios of global greenhouse gas emissions and adaptation to climate change could change the geography of food insecurity in developing and least-developed countries. By altering the levels of future global greenhouse gas emissions and/or the levels of adaptation, you can see how vulnerability to food insecurity changes over time, and compare and contrast these different future scenarios with each other and the present day.
August 2015 – Trends
- Deteriorated situations
Afghanistan, Burundi, Central African Republic, Colombia/Venezuela, Guatemala, Kashmir, Lebanon, Nepal, Yemen
- Improved situations
Guinea, South Sudan, Sri Lanka
September 2015 – Watchlist
- Conflict risk alerts
Colombia/Venezuela, Guatemala, Iraq, Nepal, Yemen
Conflict resolution opportunities
After a rainy season lull, South Sudan’s warring parties are preparing for major offensives with the Sudan People’s Liberation Army-In Opposition (SPLA-IO) this week launching attacks on Bentiu, capital of oil-producing Unity state (see our recent Conflict Alert). Hardliners in the government and the SPLA-IO appear determined to settle the conflict through war.
The U.S. expanded its aerial campaign against Islamic State (IS) militants in late September with strikes in Syria’s north and east. The operation, which targets both IS and fighters linked to al-Qaeda’s central leadership and the affiliated group Jabhat al-Nusra, risks alienating other rebel groups in Syria and strengthening support for IS.
Increasing Israeli-Palestinian tensions culminated in Israel launching "Operation Protective Edge" in Gaza in early July (see our latest report and commentary). The assault, which started as an aerial campaign and was later extended to include ground operations, reportedly killed more than 1,400 Palestinians throughout the month while 64 Israelis were killed in clashes inside the Gaza Strip and by Hamas rocket fire. Several attempts at reaching a ceasefire agreement failed in July.
Item 72 (a) of the provisional agenda
Strengthening of the coordination of humanitarian and
disaster relief assistance of the United Nations, including
special economic assistance: strengthening of the coordination