- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2018
- Sri Lanka: Dengue Outbreak - Jul 2017
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2017
- Sri Lanka: Drought - 2016-2017
- Tropical Cyclone Roanu - May 2016
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2016
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Sep 2015
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Dec 2014
- Sri Lanka: Drought - Aug 2014
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2014
Most read reports
- Distribution of relief packs for drought affected people from today
- Sri Lanka Disaster Situation Update - Report as at 1200 hrs on 2018. 10. 12
- Sri Lanka Disaster Situation Update - Report as at 1200 hrs on 2018. 10. 11
- Situation Report - Sri Lanka 10th October 2018 at 1800hrs
- Nine dead, over 57,000 displaced
This report is an independent review of the Irish Government's support to countries affected by the earthquake and tsunami of the 26th December 2004. It is estimated that the tragedy left some 227,000 people dead and missing in the countries affected with around 1.9 million people displaced from their homes and livelihoods.
The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr. Dermot Ahern T.D., and Minister of State Michael Kitt T.D., today announced grants totalling €4 million to strengthen the capacity of the United Nations Department of Political Affairs and the UN Development Programme to engage in conflict resolution and peacebuilding activities.
Announcing the grants, Minister Ahern said:
"I am happy to announce funding for the United Nations to strengthen its vital engagement in the resolution of conflict, and to bolster peace agreements to prevent reversion to instability and violence.
The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr Dermot Ahern TD, and the Minister of State for Overseas Development, Mr Michael Kitt TD met today with volunteer members of Ireland's Rapid Response Corps - recently established to provide a pool of seasoned technical experts to be deployed in humanitarian emergencies.
The Ministers announced the first deployment of a member of the Corps - Conor Lyons, from Thurles, Co. Tipperary - an experienced logistician who has been assigned to work with the UN World Food Programme (WFP) in Sri Lanka.