- Office of the UN Resident Coordinator Drought Update No. 2 - Sri Lanka | 19 Sep 2017
- WHO Country Office for Sri Lanka: Floods in Sri Lanka Situation Report No. 5 (28 August 2017)
- WHO: Sri Lanka Dengue Outbreak Situation Report 03, 28 July 2017
Appeals and Funding
- HCT: Floods and Landslides Emergency Response Plan (June - October 2017)
- IFRC: Severe floods and landslides - Emergency appeal n° MDRLK006, 1 Jun 2017
- Disaster Management Center, Ministry of Disaster Management
- Sri Lanka Epidemiology Unit: Dengue Surveillance Trends
- Sri Lanka Department of Meteorology
- Sri Lanka Red Cross Society
- United Nations Sri Lanka
- Shelter Cluster: Sri Lanka Floods 2017
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC)
- Sri Lanka Mine Action - Country profile
- Human Rights Watch: Sri Lanka - Events of 2016
- Sri Lanka: Dengue Outbreak - Jul 2017
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2017
- Sri Lanka: Drought - Sep 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Roanu - May 2016
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2016
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Sep 2015
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Dec 2014
- Sri Lanka: Drought - Aug 2014
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2014
- Tropical Cyclone Mahasen - May 2013
On Monday 16 October 2017 the Council adopted the EU Annual Report on Human Rights And Democracy in the World in 2016.
2016 was a challenging year for human rights and democracy, with a shrinking space for civil society and complex humanitarian and political crises emerging. In this context, the European Union showed leadership and remained strongly committed to promote and protect human rights and democracy across the world.
When it comes to responding to disasters, time is of the essence. Help needs to come immediately to save lives; recovery and reconstruction have to start swiftly to lessen the impact.
However, while money is critical to this response, it’s not just about funding. Indeed, funds need to match the event scale, target the right areas and sectors, and smoothly flow to communities in need. But in order for that to happen, sound public policy on risk and frameworks have to be in place.