- Sri Lanka: Dengue Outbreak - Jul 2017
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2017
- Sri Lanka: Drought - Sep 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Roanu - May 2016
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2016
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Sep 2015
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Dec 2014
- Sri Lanka: Drought - Aug 2014
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2014
- Tropical Cyclone Mahasen - May 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- Sri Lanka Rapid Post Disaster Needs Assessment: Floods and Landslides, May 2017
- Epidemiology Unit, Ministry of Health: Dengue update, 22 November 2017
- Over 61,000 in 11 districts affected due to bad weather
- Epidemiology Unit, Ministry of Health: Dengue update, 17 November 2017
- Epidemiology Unit, Ministry of Health: Dengue update, 30 November 2017
Many developing countries experience both disasters and confl ict at the same time. The interaction between the two creates and perpetuates vulnerabilities that place communities at risk, further entrenching poverty and inequality. Development trends such as climate change and unsustainable urbanization likely will make these issues worse.
World Food Day: Official aid to agriculture to increase
Rome, 16 October 2009 - FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today called on world leaders to reach a "broad consensus on the total and rapid elimination of hunger" when they gather in Rome for the World Summit on Food Security of Heads of State and Government on November 16-18.
In his annual address to mark World Food Day, Diouf also urged leaders to agree to increase agriculture's share of official development assistance to 17 percent, the level it was in 1980, from the current five percent.
The theme of this …
World cereal production in 2007 is forecast by FAO to increase some 4 percent to a record 2 082 million tonnes. The bulk of the increase is expected in maize, with a bumper crop already being gathered in South America, and a sharp increase in plantings expected in the United States. A significant rise in wheat output is also foreseen, with a recovery in some major exporting countries' crops after weather problems last year.
Another good cereal crop likely in 2007 in the group of Low-Income Food-Deficit countries (LIFDCs).
This week's report covers the following sectors: Agriculture, Coordination and Support Services, Food, Health, Protection / Human Rights / Rule of Law, Refugees and IDPs, Security, Shelter and Non-food Items, Water & Sanitation