- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2018
- Sri Lanka: Dengue Outbreak - Jul 2017
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2017
- Sri Lanka: Drought - 2016-2017
- Tropical Cyclone Roanu - May 2016
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - May 2016
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Sep 2015
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Dec 2014
- Sri Lanka: Drought - Aug 2014
- Sri Lanka: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2014
Most read reports
- Distribution of relief packs for drought affected people from today
- Sri Lanka Disaster Situation Update - Report as at 1200 hrs on 2018. 10. 12
- Sri Lanka Disaster Situation Update - Report as at 1200 hrs on 2018. 10. 11
- Situation Report - Sri Lanka 10th October 2018 at 1800hrs
- Nine dead, over 57,000 displaced
News spreads quickly around the world in the immediate aftermath of a crisis. Details, videos, and testimonials circulate on the web and via media outlets within seconds of a natural disaster or the outbreak of violence.
But for people in the midst of the crisis, getting information is usually much harder. Power goes down. Mobile networks fail. Local journalists can be victims and even become targets themselves, unable to report out. And survivors are often left to rebuild their lives with no effective means to communicate with those providing aid.
In 2010, Internews Network commits to deepening the innovative use of new technologies in its future emergency and humanitarian media response programs, enabling disaster affected populations better access to humanitarian media information.
Independent, local media can improve humanitarian relief and enable people in the midst of crisis to take an active role in their own survival and recovery. In the past 20 years, the humanitarian community has dramatically improved the way relief is provided to people caught up in disasters and crises. However, much more could be done to keep those most affected by disaster informed of assistance efforts and able to engage in the relief process.
The first priority for humanitarian organizations is to provide services and critical aid.