Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- UNHCR: UNHCR expands help to refugees in urban areas in Libya. 28 Nov 2019
- IOM: Urgent shift needed in approach to the situation in Libya. 21 Nov 2019
Most read reports
- MMC: What makes refugees and migrants vulnerable to detention in Libya? A microlevel study of the determinants of detention. 3 Dec 2019
- UNHCR: UNHCR expands help to refugees in urban areas in Libya, reassesses role of Gathering and Departure Facility [EN/AR]. 28 Nov 2019
- UNICEF: The U.S. Government Pledges US$ 1,500,000 to Support Child Protection and Health Service Delivery in Libya. 5 Dec 2019
- IOM: IOM Libya Update, 16 - 30 November 2019. 3 Dec 2019
- USAID: Libya - Complex Emergency Fact Sheet #2, Fiscal Year (FY) 2019. 3 Dec 2019
ROME, Italy, July 5 (UNHCR) – The UN refugee agency said on Friday that an estimated 8,400 migrants and asylum-seekers landed on the coasts of Italy and Malta in the first six months of this year. The majority arrived in Italy (7,800), while Malta received around 600 migrants and asylum-seekers.
"Those making this journey mostly departed from North Africa, principally Libya – around 6,700 people. The remaining 1,700 crossed from Greece and Turkey, landing in southern Italy's Apulia and Calabria regions," a UNHCR spokesman said.