Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- ECHO: European Commission announces €2 million in humanitarian assistance to cover basic needs in Libya. 21 Oct 2019
- MSF: Closure of detention centre in Libya exposes migrants and refugees to even worse conditions. 17 Oct 2019
- OCHA: UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya condemns increasing attacks on civilians. 8 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- ECHO: Libya: €2 million in humanitarian assistance to cover basic needs. 21 Oct 2019
- MSF: Closure of detention centre exposes migrants and refugees to even worse conditions. 17 Oct 2019
- OCHA: Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya El Hillo condemns increasing attacks on civilians, calls for the respect of international humanitarian law and protection of civilians [EN/AR]. 8 Oct 2019
- UNHCR: UNHCR Update Libya (18 October 2019) [EN/AR]. 18 Oct 2019
- UNHCR: UNHCR Libya Response in 2019 (18 October 2019) [EN/AR]. 18 Oct 2019
7 March 2018
A few days ago, we celebrated the centenary year of Nelson Mandela’s birth. We spoke of his example; his fortitude, his suffering and compassion, while recalling also the declaration that he and my predecessor Mary Robinson signed in 2000 on diversity and tolerance.
The global terrorist threat continued to evolve rapidly in 2015, becoming increasingly decentralized and diffuse. Terrorist groups continued to exploit an absence of credible and effective state institutions, where avenues for free and peaceful expression of opinion were blocked, justice systems lacked credibility, and where security force abuses and government corruption went unchecked.