Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
Most read reports
- OCHA: Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya El Hillo condemns increasing attacks on civilians, calls for the respect of international humanitarian law and protection of civilians [EN/AR]. 8 Oct 2019
- UNSMIL: UNSMIL shocked by attack on a civilian-populated area in Tripoli killing young children. 14 Oct 2019
- UNHCR: Libya: Activities at Disembarkation, Monthly Update - September 2019. 11 Oct 2019
- UNHCR: UNHCR Update Libya (11 October 2019) [EN/AR]. 11 Oct 2019
- UNHCR: UNHCR Libya Response in 2019 (11 October 2019) [EN/AR]. 11 Oct 2019
In recent weeks, the Turkey to Greece sea passage has surpassed the North Africa to Italy route in volume of migrants and asylum seekers attempting to reach Europe. Increasing numbers of refugees are fleeing extreme human security situations in Syria (ranked 1st and most at risk out of the 198 countries assessed in Verisk Maplecroft’s Human Rights Risk Index 2015), Iraq (3rd) and Afghanistan (5th), placing further pressures on a weakening Greek economy and struggling infrastructure.
Over the last 12 months, global fatalities from acts of terrorism have risen 30% compared to the previous five year average, according to a new security monitoring service from global risk analytics company Maplecroft, which also identifies China, Egypt, Kenya and Libya as seeing the most significant increases in the risk of terrorist attacks.
Over the last six months, levels of conflict and political violence have risen significantly in 48 countries, according to the latest index released by global risk analytics company Maplecroft, which highlights the destabilising effects of popular revolutions and regime change as a key factor in the surge in risk.
'Arab Awakening' countries at increased risk from 2013 food price shock
Despite strong economic growth, food security remains an issue of primary importance for Africa, according to a new study by risk analysis company Maplecroft, which classifies 75% of the continent’s countries at ‘high’ or ‘extreme risk.’