Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- MSF: SOS MEDITERRANEE and MSF call on European leaders to urgently allow disembarkation of 104 survivors. 28 Oct 2019
- ECHO: European Commission announces €2 million in humanitarian assistance to cover basic needs in Libya. 21 Oct 2019
- MSF: Closure of detention centre in Libya exposes migrants and refugees to even worse conditions. 17 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- Protection Cluster: Libya Gender-Based Violence AOR (Jan - Sept 2019) [EN/AR]. 12 Nov 2019
- OCHA: Libya: Humanitarian Dashboard (January - September 2019). 11 Nov 2019
- UNICEF: Our Education, Our Future: "The Ministry of Education and UNICEF launch this year’s Back to School Campaign". 6 Nov 2019
- UNHCR: UNHCR Update Libya (8 November 2019 ) [EN/AR]. 8 Nov 2019
- UNHCR: UNHCR Libya Response in 2019 (08 November 2019). 8 Nov 2019
In February, there were more than 10 900 detections of illegal border crossings on the three main migratory routes into the EU. This is less than a tenth of the figure from the same month of last year, although 46% higher than in January because of an increased activity in the Central Mediterranean.
In January, there were nearly 8000 detections of illegal border crossings on the three main migratory routes into the EU.
4400 migrants reached Italy by sea in January, a drop of 16% from a year ago and of nearly 46% from December. Most of the departures occurred from Libya.
The main reason for the decrease in migratory flows last month was worsening weather conditions on the Central Mediterranean, which made it nearly impossible to make a sea crossing for a larger part of the month.
The number of migrants crossing the Central Mediterranean fell to nearly 12 700 in September, down 40% from the previous month due to poor weather conditions, although the trend in the first nine months of this year remained roughly in line with 2015. Most of them were rescued off the Libyan coast. The total number of migrants who headed to Italy via the Central Mediterranean route stood at 127 600 in the January-September period of this year.
European Economic and Social Committee
Mission Report – Italy, 18-19 January 2016