Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- UNDP: Lebanon: Health 2019 Mid-Year Statistical Dashboard. 14 Oct 2019
- UNIFIL: UNIFIL firefighters assist in putting out raging fire. 15 Oct 2019
- GIZ: Disaster risk reduction, urban informality and a ‘fragile peace’: the case of Lebanon. 15 Oct 2019
- WHO: WHO EMRO Weekly Epidemiological Monitor: Volume 12, Issue 40 (6 October 2019). 15 Oct 2019
- ECHO: Lebanon - Forest fires (DG ECHO, Lebanese Civil Defence, JRC-GWIS, Copernicus EMSR, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 16 October 2019). 16 Oct 2019
European Commission - Press release
Brussels, 15 June 2016
Today, the Commission adopted its latest progress report on the EU's emergency relocation and resettlement schemes, assessing actions taken over the past month.
In Greece, during the week of 9 May, IOM led an escort mission for 20 unaccompanied children (seven from Pakistan, six from Afghanistan, five from Syria, one from Palestine, and one from Egypt) who were escorted from the First Reception Centre in Lesvos to a new accommodation facility in Mytilene.
LESVOS, Greece, Feb 24 – Europe is backing into an even greater refugee crisis by tightening border restrictions on the hundreds of thousands who have fled war and conflict in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and other countries.
That was the message of UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi on his first official visit to the island of Lesvos on Tuesday (February 23).
• EDUCATION: Those Syrians interviewed reported a very high level of education (86% secondary or university education level). Students were the largest group among interviewed refugees.
• MISSING FAMILY MEMBERS: One in five interviewees stated that they had been separated from one or more family members in Syria and that they do not know their current location.
- Some 9,700 Syrians arrived so far in Southern Europe in 2015.
- Some 186,000 Syrians applied for asylum in Europe (28) since 2011, less than 5% of Syrians who fled the conflict.
- In 2015, 1,279 new asylum applications were registered from Syrians in Southern Europe, almost three times more than the same period of 2014 (499 applications).