Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- UNOSAT: Lebanon - Aley and Chouf Districts, Mount Lebanon Governorate: Imagery analysis: 19 October 2019 | Published 21 October 2019 | Version 1.0. 21 Oct 2019
- WHO: Measles - Lebanon | Disease outbreak news, 22 October 2019. 22 Oct 2019
- Int'l Charter: Akkar, Tartous & Homs Governorates, Lebanon & Syria: Imagery analysis: 21 October 2019 | Published 22 October 2019 | Version 1.0. 22 Oct 2019
- ICG: Lebanon’s Revolt. 21 Oct 2019
- ECHO: Lebanon | Forest Fires – DG ECHO Daily Map | 16/10/2019. 16 Oct 2019
The UK's total contribution to the Lebanon crisis will reach =A321.5 million ($40.1m) with the announcement today by UK International Development Secretary Hilary Benn that =A34 million ($7.5m) of UK funding already pledged will be used to help provide water, sanitation, munitions clearance, other multisectoral support, and bridges in response to the priorities identified in Lebanon's Early Recovery Plan.
Hilary Benn in Beirut today called on all sides to abide by the ceasefire so that urgently needed humanitarian assistance can get through to the hundreds of thousands of affected Lebanese people.
Today the UK government committed a further £2.2 million to the Lebanon humanitarian relief effort, bringing the total UK contribution to £5 million, including the UK contribution to the UN Central Emergency Response Fund.
The Secretary of State for International Development (Mr. Hilary Benn):
I am deeply concerned about the humanitarian situation in the Lebanon and in the Gaza Strip.
In Lebanon, the crisis has led the UN to estimate that at least 500,000 people have been displaced. Insecurity and damaged infrastructure is making it difficult to reach those in need of medical care, food and water supplies. The supply of electricity has stopped to most villages and towns in southern Lebanon. Stocks of fuel will be exhausted in two weeks.
International Development Secretary Hilary Benn today announced that the UK will contribute an initial £2 million for immediate relief efforts in response to an appeal by the Lebanese Prime Minister.