Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- UNDP: Lebanon: Health 2019 Mid-Year Statistical Dashboard. 14 Oct 2019
- UNIFIL: UNIFIL firefighters assist in putting out raging fire. 15 Oct 2019
- GIZ: Disaster risk reduction, urban informality and a ‘fragile peace’: the case of Lebanon. 15 Oct 2019
- WHO: WHO EMRO Weekly Epidemiological Monitor: Volume 12, Issue 40 (6 October 2019). 15 Oct 2019
- UNDP: Lebanon: Inter-Agency - Energy Mid Year 2019 Dashboard. 14 Oct 2019
By Eugen Tomiuc
PRAGUE, August 16, 2006 (RFE/RL) -- As thousands of residents are slowly, but steadily returning to southern Lebanon and the suburbs of south Beirut, the Lebanese government has started assessing the damage caused by the month-long war.
The head of the country's council for development and reconstruction, Fadl Shalak, said today that the damage incurred "amounts to $3.5 billion." The amount includes $2 billion for buildings and $1.5 billion for infrastructure, such as bridges, roads, and power plants.
Shalak said that the figures -- which do not …
PRAGUE, July 19, 2006 (RFE/RL) -- While Iraqis have expressed concern over events taking place in Lebanon, much of their focus this week remained on the deteriorating security situation in their own country. According to a UN report released on July 18, some 6,000 Iraqis were killed in May and June, the majority in violent attacks in Baghdad and central regions of the country.