Appeals & Response Plans
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Kenya: Floods - Apr 2016
- Kenya: Floods - Nov 2015
- Kenya: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2015
- Kenya: Drought - 2014-2018
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Horn of Africa: Polio Outbreak - May 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Jan 2013
Most read reports
- Active USG Humanitarian Programs in Kenya (Last Updated 09/30/18)
- Kenya: Disaster Assistance Fact Sheet # 1 - September 30, 2018
- Kenya: Half of the assessed households report insufficient access to food at Dadaab refugee complex
- Kenya launches 10-year Climate Smart Agriculture Implementation Framework
- Dreams Deterred: opportunities to promote self-reliance for Somali refugee youth in Kenya
Nineteen-year-old Monyjok Malual Marial describes life in Kakuma refugee camp, in the Northern part of neighbouring Kenya, as difficult. After years in exile, he decided to return to his origins in Malakal – only to discover that resuming life in South Sudan is hardly a walk in the park either.
PETER RING ARIIK KUOL
People seeking shelter at protection sites in Mingkaman in the Greater Lakes region decry what they call “funding gaps” and call on the international community to alleviate the humanitarian crisis situation they are going through.
Many humanitarian actors have left the area due to a lack of funds. Decreased resources mean that those in need are now living on reduced rations as the few remaining relief organizations struggle to deliver adequate social services to the densely populated protection sites.
Up to 75 per cent of people living in Imatong state may have left their homes because they cannot get enough to eat, the head of the UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan, David Shearer, has been told by community leaders in Torit.
Mr Shearer was visiting Torit on Thursday, his first mission to the capital of the state.
Torit has largely been spared the worst of the 2013 outbreak of conflict in South Sudan but since July 2016 has been considered a flashpoint by the UN after heavy fighting between the government SPLA and opposition forces.