Appeals & Response Plans
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Kenya: Floods - Apr 2016
- Kenya: Floods - Nov 2015
- Kenya: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2015
- Kenya: Drought - 2014-2018
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Horn of Africa: Polio Outbreak - May 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Jan 2013
Most read reports
- Kenya launches 10-year Climate Smart Agriculture Implementation Framework
- Kenya: Half of the assessed households report insufficient access to food at Dadaab refugee complex
- Kenya launches framework to implement climate-smart agriculture
- Four taken ill amid cholera fears in Tharaka-Nithi County
- Kenya: Kakuma New Arrival Registration Trends 2018 (as of 31 October 2018)
The worst drought in 60 years has struck northeast Africa in recent months. Rain in some countries was less than 5 percent of normal precipitation. Food production has seriously dropped, causing widespread famine.
More than 12.4 million people in countries such as Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia and Djibouti are affected, according to the United Nations, and tens of thousands of people have already died.
The Chinese government will provide emergency food aid and cash aid worth 353.2 million yuan ($55.28 million) to Ethiopia and other African drought-stricken regions to fight drought, Premier Wen Jiabao made the promise when meeting Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi on August 15, in Beijing.
China announced to provide 90 million yuan ($14 million) of emergency food assistance to countries in the Horn of Africa in late July.
Currently, a worst drought once in 60 years hit Northeast Africa and has caused a serious food crisis, and about 11 million people are threatened by starvation. Among the disaster-hit areas, Ethiopia, Kenya and Djibouti are the hardest-hit countries. In order to help the three countries to overcome current hardship, the Chinese government has decided to provide emergency grain aid to them, and will ship the grain to the three countries as soon as possible.