Appeals & Response Plans
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Kenya: Floods - Apr 2016
- Kenya: Floods - Nov 2015
- Kenya: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2015
- Kenya: Drought - 2014-2018
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Horn of Africa: Polio Outbreak - May 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Jan 2013
Most read reports
- Four taken ill amid cholera fears in Tharaka-Nithi County
- Kenya: Kakuma New Arrival Registration Trends 2018 (as of 30 September 2018)
- Kenya: Kakuma and Kalobeyei Population Statistics by Country of Origin, Sex and Age Group (as of 30 September 2018)
- Left Behind: Addressing the Systemic Problems Keeping Children out of School
- Kenya: Kakuma Camp Population Statistics by Country of Origin, Sex and Age Group (as of 30 September 2018)
Somalia's main transitional leaders are meeting in Ethiopia this week for talks on implementing the 'Roadmap'. Somalia's biggest Western donors, and the leaders of the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and Puntland, are focusing on the adoption of a new constitution and an end to the current Transitional Federal Charter before its mandate expires in August. The Roadmap emerged in September 2011 out of the Kampala Accord a few weeks earlier, which had functioned mainly to contain infighting between TFG factions.
June 7, 2010
SUBJECT: Implementation of 'responsibility to protect' (R2P).
SIGNIFICANCE: The R2P principle involves an international commitment to protect civilians from systematic human rights violations. Although R2P was endorsed by heads of state and government at the 2005 World Summit, it continues to face opposition.
EVENT: Government fighters launched a counter-offensive on June 2 against hardline Islamist militant groups, Hisbul Islam and al-Shabaab.
SIGNIFICANCE: The government has barely survived a concerted assault on Mogadishu, which threatens to derail the Djibouti peace process.
ANALYSIS: Since it moved to Mogadishu in February, the expanded Transitional Federal Government (TFG-Djibouti) has made only limited progress in increasing coherence among the unwieldy coalition of which it is formed.
EVENT: Kofi Annan today announced that an "agreement" had been reached between the government and opposition. SIGNIFICANCE: Annan had suspended the mediation process two days ago, and concentrated instead on bringing President Mwai Kibaki and opposition leader Raila Odinga directly together. Today's agreement should dampen the fears of an imminent return to violence.
SUBJECT: Natural disaster preparedness in East Africa and the Great Lakes.
SIGNIFICANCE: Over the past 20 years, greater responsibility has been placed upon national governments for disaster planning, and mitigation, in their own territories. However, recent disaster episodes in the region suggest that its governments are some way from meeting their obligations.