Appeals & Response Plans
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Kenya: Floods - Apr 2016
- Kenya: Floods - Nov 2015
- Kenya: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2015
- Kenya: Drought - 2014-2018
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Horn of Africa: Polio Outbreak - May 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Jan 2013
Most read reports
- Four taken ill amid cholera fears in Tharaka-Nithi County
- ECHO Factsheet – Kenya – October 2018
- Measles outbreak: Two people dead, 300 infected in Mandera
- Kenya: Kakuma New Arrival Registration Trends 2018 (as of 30 September 2018)
- Kenya: Kakuma and Kalobeyei Population Statistics by Country of Origin, Sex and Age Group (as of 30 September 2018)
Estimates of people in need, internally displaced and food security outlook
MapAction has completed a mission to Kenya to strengthen capacity in disaster response during the recent flood emergency that affected much of the eastern side of the country as well as neighbouring Somalia and Ethiopia. In Kenya alone, some 700,000 people were seriously affected.
MapAction deployed a team to Garissa in eastern Kenya where they staffed the government's Flood Relief Coordination Centre.
THE MAPACTION ORGANISATION
1. MapAction is an international NGO, headquartered in the UK. MapAction's vision is to apply the skills of professionals from the rapidly-evolving geo-informatics sector to help to relieve suffering and safeguard livelihoods in humanitarian emergencies. Its operational capacity is founded on a pool of volunteers who maintain readiness to deploy worldwide, together with a small full-time staff providing leadership and operational and administrative support.
Several weeks of torrential rains in north east Kenya have caused severe flooding. At least 21 people have been killed and as many as 700,000 may have been displaced or cut off. The risk from water borne diseases is acute. The refugee camps at Dadaab have been badly affected by rising waters.
MapAction has been requested to provide support to humanitarian agencies working in the region. We are deploying a team of 4 to Kenya on Friday, 1 December.