Appeals & Response Plans
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Kenya: Floods - Apr 2016
- Kenya: Floods - Nov 2015
- Kenya: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2015
- Kenya: Drought - 2014-2018
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Horn of Africa: Polio Outbreak - May 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Mar 2013
- Kenya: Floods - Jan 2013
Most read reports
- 20,000 drought-affected Kenyans receive QC’s food aid
- Kenya: Red Cross Goes Door-to-Door to Save Kids from Measles
- Dubai Cares' program in Kenya harnesses the power of technology to boost learning outcomes
- Enhancing access to safe water and improved sanitation services in Kenya: Are we on track? (December 2018)
- Kenya: Cash Programming Fact Sheet - Targeted Counties: Garissa, Mandera, Samburu, Tana River, Wajir, Isiolo and Turkana, August 2018
This review provides an overview of the use of cash assistance in 45 cash-related education programmes in 21 UNHCR operations. It highlights the key opportunities and challenges with the use of cash for education and provides key direction for future programming and related protection considerations. It also presents detailed learning on refugee access to education through cash from two case studies: Kenya and Turkey.
Key fndings and recommendations
Studies on cash and education thus far consistently fnd that:
WHAT IS AN INNOVATION LAB?
The word ‘labs’ is sometimes confl ated with the fashionable nomenclature of innovators, and innovative organizations. For others, the word ‘lab’ may conjure up images of men and women wearing large plastic goggles, and white coats, almost certainly holding test tubes full of colorful – possibly fi zzing – liquid.
Eighteen months ago, as 2012 drew to a close, optimism was running high for the Global Polio Eradication Initiative. Polio transmission in India had been interrupted. The three remaining endemic countries (Pakistan, Nigeria, Afghanistan) had made significant programmatic improvements. Some believed that success was imminent; that polio would soon be history.
Within a matter of months, this optimism quickly unwound:
• Targeted killing of polio vaccinators in Pakistan shocked the world and created major operational constraints.
The fourth edition of ‘Shelter Projects’, is launched at a time when shelter is more relevant than ever as an instrument of humanitarian response. The case studies in this edition reflect the on-going challenges posed by responses to complex emergencies such as Haiti and Pakistan as well as new challenges derived from unprecedented level of population displacement in Africa, Asia and in the Middle East.
HPG COMMISSIONED REPORT
Asia and the Pacific
Problem Statement/Context: The Asia Pacific region has an emergency profile characterized by a combination of natural disasters, civil/political unrest with pockets of conflict situations, and recent emerging new global threats such as high food and fuel prices crisis, the threat of pandemic influenza and other emerging diseases.