Headlines (last 30 days)
- CRS: Humanitarian disaster brewing in Haiti. 17 Oct 2019
- UN SC: UN peacekeeping operations in Haiti are coming to a close. 15 Oct 2019
- OCHA: Unrest disrupts humanitarian programmes in Haiti. 3 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- ACTED: Le renforcement et la diversification des filières agricoles haïtiennes contre l’insécurité alimentaire. 17 Oct 2019
- UN SC: United Nations Peacekeeping Operation in Haiti Closes amid Growing Political, Security Challenges, Top Peace Official Tells Security Council. 15 Oct 2019
- CRS: CRS: Humanitarian disaster looms in Haiti. 17 Oct 2019
- IFRC: Haiti: Civil Unrest (MDRHT016) Emergency Plan of Action Final Report. 17 Oct 2019
- ACTED: Supporting the diversification of agricultural sectors to reinforce food security in Haiti. 16 Oct 2019
From the editor
In this issue of Field Exchange, there are two themes which previous editorials have not addressed - sustainability of interventions and how markets can create, as well as be used to respond, to emergencies. We also revisit one 'old chestnut' - namely the rich vein of innovation that runs through our sector.
Use of the word 'sustainability' in an emergency context always needs qualification and nuancing. Are we talking about sustainability of capacity, resources, demand for services, a product or institutional sustainability?