Most read reports
- IOM: IOM Strengthens Engagement of Diaspora Organizations in Disaster Response, Preparedness and Recovery. 17 Sep 2019
- FEWS NET: Central America and Caribbean: Key Message Update, September 2019. 17 Sep 2019
- MSF: People’s healthcare in danger amidst worsening anger and despair. 5 Jul 2019
- OCHA: Haiti Situation Report, 17 Jun 2019. 19 Jun 2019
- ECHO: EU mobilises €9 million to tackle the food crisis in Haiti. 13 Aug 2019
The resignation of the UN commander in chief in Congo this year is indicative of the rising number of problematic UN peacekeeping missions. For peacemaking in complex environments to have a chance of succeeding, members of the UN Security Council will need to transcend their own national security and economic interests.
Last February 2009, the Spanish general Vicente Díaz de Villegas presented his resignation to the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) for the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC).