Headlines (last 30 days)
Most read reports
- WFP: World Food Programme ramping up to reach 700,000 with emergency operations in Haiti. 6 Dec 2019
- MSF: MSF opens a trauma hospital in Port-au-Prince as health crisis in Haiti deepens. 3 Dec 2019
- ACTED: NGOs warn about the deterioration of food security in Haiti: More than 3.5 million people in need of emergency food and nutrition assistance. 22 Nov 2019
- AlterPresse: Plusieurs organisations préoccupées par les violations des droits humains en Haïti. 11 Dec 2019
- CRS: CRS: Humanitarian disaster looms in Haiti. 17 Oct 2019
- Developing countries shoulder rising
costs from disasters
* Earthquakes, floods cost $109 bln in 2010 vs $35 bln 2009
* Decaying infrastructure described as risk in urban areas
By Laura MacInnis
GENEVA, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Natural disasters caused $109 billion in economic damage last year, three times more than in 2009, with Chile and China bearing most of the cost, the United Nations said on Monday.
The 8.8-magnitude earthquake that struck Chile in February cost $30 billion.